What's new

Does anyone here shoot mirrorless exclusively?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I may not be savvy with the technical terms, but I'm talking about cameras such as the PEN and NEX, etc etc? These types of cameras have been out for a tad under three years or so now and I've never so much as read up on them more than their name and a photo of how small they were in the hand of the photographer. I just took a quick look at the lenses on amaon, and I was kind of shocked to see that they're more expensive than their DSLR counterparts, per 35mm focal length equivalent. Anywho, is there any real allure to shoot with those type of cameras besides the size?

Thanks,
Mark
 
As I see it the attraction is that they can have the features of a good bridge camera, but combined with the interchangeable lenses, controls and overall response of a DSLR (as well as things like proper manual focusing). All whilst being considerably smaller than a conventional DSLR.

Myself I've been looking into them as a possible support camera - something lighter and smaller than the DSLR, but still capable of a quality result and a more similar interface (some things like manual focusing, are just not practical on bridge cameras). For me its the added bonus that they've got a smaller crop factor - so a short 200mm lens is now 400mm equivalent angle of view - something not to be underestimated when one wants a smaller, but still long ranged camera.
 
M43 shooters here are far and few... I shoot with an E-PL1 and G1 but not exclusively. There are some really nice Advantages to the system but there are also some major disadvantages. I enjoy shooting with them but I wouldn't recommend it as an easy replacement to a high end DSLR system. I feel they are slotted well above the bridge cameras and compete against lower entry level DSLRs.

Some previous threads

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...reviews/208822-my-thoughts-olympus-e-pl1.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-my-thoughts-panasonic-g1-w-manual-glass.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...uggestions-something-small-yet-versatile.html
 
I was thinking the same thing. Once they start pumping out some fast super telephotos and nice macro lenses, I may consider them. It might be a great advantage as far as both of those realms, the realms that I am most interested in, are concerned, like you said. Panasono. Makes a 100-300mm zoom, which would be an equivalent 200-600/4-5.6 zoom! Quite insane, really!

Mark
 
Last edited:
Mark,
Besides my D1X, I bought an E-PL1 for its video capabilities, portability, and adaptability. I love shooting video with the PEN series, I'm sure Panny's are great too. I've bought a couple of after market adapters for it (each costing less than $20) that have allowed me to mount Nikon lenses and an old F.Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 which is also a lot of fun- I use my 70-300mm to get shots of the moon now and then.
I like mine, it's a great little tool.
 
I was thinking the same thing. Once they start pumping out some fast super telephotos and nice macro lenses, I may consider them. It might be a great advantage as far as both of those realms, the realms that I am most interested in, are concerned, like you said. Panasono. Makes a 100-300mm zoom, which would be an equivalent 200-600/4-5.6 zoom! Quite insane, really!Mark

That's the advantage... people don't realize just how small the lenses are not just the camera. Panasonic / Leica are really working on some excellent choices in fast primes (20mm f/1.7, Summilux 25mm f/1.4, Pan-Leica 45mm). Just remember.... part of the complexity of producing fast high quality primes is the size of the optics.


On the other hand, I have a bag full of very fast primes for the Micro 4/3. One such prime is a wonderful takumar 500mm f/4.5. Of course, you'd have to focus manually and buy an adapter.
 
original.jpg


Yes--you've reached one of your goals! You've been awarded the title of Super Douche!!! Good going!
 
Let's play nice, shall we? :)

I think I'm liking the price point and features of the Gh2. I still can't fathom payong the money for that though, instead of something I need for my DSLR. Especially with the D300s replacement on the horizon.

Mark
 
Mark I'm somewhat the same - its not a cheap price and the sigma 150mm OS has just hit the market apparently!
However I do think that these mirrorless hybrids are going to be the best solution for a DSLR user who wants a lighter, smaller camera with the response and feel of a DSLR without the sluggishness of the bridge camera.
 
Let's play nice, shall we? :)

I think I'm liking the price point and features of the Gh2. I still can't fathom payong the money for that though, instead of something I need for my DSLR. Especially with the D300s replacement on the horizon.

Mark

GH2 is Panasonic's G-series camera with a focus on video which contributes the extra cost (ok big cost) over the plain jane G's. I don't blame you, its a nice system for its compact size but don't expect it to be up there with the DSLR (yet). If I had my eye on something for a primary system, I'd probably put my money their as well.

The attraction for me was the adaptability of vintage lenses since it has a very short film flange. I also wanted something other than my primarycamera that was less valuable and easier to pack without having to resort to some sort of bridge camera.

PS> Don't mind Derrel, he's pissed off at me for not bending at his will. Nothing new.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom