Does Tamron 70-200 2.8 non VC worth it?

vasal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So here's the thing.
Equipment: Nikon d300+Tamron 70-300 VC (4-5.6)

I have to cover a sports event (at least 1/800 shutter speed, ideally 1/1000) and that's late in the evening-early night (not enough sun light but there will be strong lamps) and my lens is not that bright plus ISO on my camera can't be above 400, otherwise image quality gets worse. So I was thinking about renting a 70-200 Tamron for a week, lack of VC is not a problem for me since my shutter speed is that fast but since I've never had such a lens (2.8) I'm not sure if it'll cover me or the differences will be not noticeable. I do have basic skills on photoshop.

Any suggestions for the 2.8 or for trying it out with my own equipment would be highly appreciated since I'm still trying to figure things out.

Thank you in advance!

Hard to say. How much are you being paid for the shoot?
It's not about the payment, it's about the results :) I'm gaining experience right now.

All Tamron 70-200m 2.8 are very sharp lenses but the NON VC older model is known to have hunting problems in low light conditions.
So I am not sure if its ok in good lighting conditions.
When it comes to older 70-200mm 2.8 I would recommend looking at the Sigma model, these are sharp too and the AF is more reliable compared to the older Tamron lens.
Once you look at the VC then its better then the Sigma but to be honest both these lenses are good in their new model.

I think the old tamron lens has nice image quality but it focuses very slowly. Its great for static, not so good for moving. I was thinking of buying one, borrowed from a friend and changed my mind. Reading your post I'd rent a d750 instead and use current lens, or better still,rent a cam and f2.8 lens. Any crop will struggle in that enviroment, an fx will really be better, it's one of those cases where the gear does matter

If results are important and you're going to rent a lens anyway, why not rent a body as well? ISO 400 at 2.8 under stadium lights probably isn't going to be anywhere near 1/1000. When I've shot sports under those conditions I'm at ISO 2000 at least... often much higher.

Unfortunately, the d750 is not available for rental plus all the other available bodies are not what I'm looking for or higher than my budget. I have the option to borrow a d3200 from a close friend if mine, surely better at high ISO, I'm not sure about the AF speed. But since you're telling me the old Tamron probably won't make it I'm planning to start with my d300 and when the light is low enough I will change to d3200 and ISO 800. What do you think?

Just be sure the d3200 will focus the tamron, I can't remember, but I think some have screw drive motor, some have motor built in. I suspect the d300 will be better either way, better a noisy than an out of focus shot

Good luck, it might turn out ok

Most reactions

New Topics

Back