Does the D750 have a limit when using wired shutter release?

tenthumbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love to take star trail photos but I have to reinitiate the wired shutter release roughly every 50 minutes when taking 30 second exposures. Does the D750 have that same limitation?

That sounds like an intervalometer limit rather than a camera limit.

The D750 has interval shooting built in. You can specify the interval and how many shots per interval. Looking at the manual d/l from Nikon, it has four digits for the "number of intervals" setting and one digit for the "number of shots per interval." Yes, there are five digits for the resulting total number of shots! I don't think you'll have to reset after 50 minutes. It can even be set to start at a specific time on the clock, and no external controller is needed for any of this.

I've used the same function on my D7000 for time-lapse photography, running for over 24 hours. They were not long exposures, though, which leads to the next question:

How much time elapses between those 30-second exposures? Are they one right after the other, or maybe a minute or two apart? I'm wondering if you're running onto a thermal shutdown, as the sensor gets hot with continuous use, as in long periods of Live View or video shooting,

I have a D7000. I'm not using the intervalometer. I'm taking 30 second exposures with one second in between. I set the wired shutter release in the locked position. At about 50 minutes, the the camera stops taking pictures and I have to re set the wired shutter release. I forget the model number of the shutter release but it's the Nikon version. I've taken close to 900 shots doing it this way and I've read in the past of the limitation of a hundred shots I believe. Problem is I have to be ready to reset or there will be a gap in the trail.

I wish to move to FX and was wondering if I'll encounter the same issue with the D750

I would ditch the wired release and use the interval timer in the camera menu. It so happens I use a D7000, and in a quick-and-dirty trial just now, setting my shutter speed to 30 seconds, I got 5 shots with the interval set to 33 seconds. I tried 31, then 32, but the next frame didn't fire until the next interval counted. At 33 it fired consecutively, and was still just less than a second after the previous frame. I can't explain the timing unless one of the clocks (shutter timer or interval timer) is off somehow, as I didn't actually put a stopwatch on it. But then I remembered to turn off auto-focus, thinking the focus function was what delayed the next frame, but it still fired almost immediately, but only with a 33-second interval.

Anyway, I could get just under two frames per minute with minimal closed-shutter time between frames, and I have no reason to think I couldn't set it to do 999 of those, which is certainly more time than the battery will run!

If you want the frames to be 30 seconds apart, which would make time calculations easier after the fact, then set a 30-second interval on a 25-second shutter speed. That makes just a bit longer gap between frames, but still only 4 seconds or so.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back