PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does The Internet Make You Stupid?

Having been involved with various online communications for more years that some of today’s hackers have been alive I’ve seen a lot of changes. The biggest change was the introduction of what we call the Internet; where swarms of people flock to for communication, gaming, shopping, entertainment and among countless other things… information.

The last part is what has troubled me over the last couple years. I’ve seen intelligent people ask simple questions that could have been answered, in less time, by doing a quick search – or with a little common sense. Sites like http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com have taken interest in this fact as well, and have become a popular method for pointing out the obvious to people, yet I believe to the vast majority the hint goes in one ear and out the other so to speak. From what I’ve seen, Internet forums have become the playing ground for many of these people, but I don’t believe they were this way when they created their first account.

Over time I believe this type of portal has a negative effect on otherwise good, smart and civil people. I’ve seen it time and time again and even fell victim to it – luckily I am usually able to catch myself and withdraw for a few months to recover. It can be an addiction that takes one down a spiraling path of helplessness with an inability to make a decision without creating a forum poll of some sort. These are some of the same people who somehow managed to graduate high school, get a driver’s license, buy a car, get married, have kids and hold a steady job, but yet can’t make up their mind about what "Doohonky" to get.

It’s become so bad that everyone thinks their situation is unique, which of course means… a new thread! Why not? I mean of course nobody in the world has asked about what Doohonky to buy, right? This has got to be a new problem! Let’s pool our collective thoughts together and figure this dilemma out for all mankind.

Sounds kind of silly, doesn’t it.

Our society is growing farther and farther away from self reliance and becoming more and more co-dependent on other people to make them feel good about decisions they make.

Everything said aside, I personally don’t believe the Internet makes you stupid – however I do believe it slowly strips away your power of decision making and turns you into someone who needs your hand held while crossing the hallway in your own home.

It’s true… Let me Google that for you!

Last edited:
NOYZE ~ THANKS for that post!

Doesn't let me click you a thanks for this one.

I still use Yahoo search instead of google...

I was going to reply about seeing both sides of the issue (wanting experienced advice on something) until I saw this part.

Our society is growing farther and farther away from self reliance and becoming more and more co-dependent on other people to make them feel good about decisions they make.

I think a lot of times someone will have their mind made up already and they just want reassurance, and if you don't tell them what they want to hear it starts a big fight.

I don't think the internet makes you stupid. I think it makes the stupid/lazy people more visible.

Good post.

I don't think the internet makes you stupid. I think it makes the stupid/lazy people more visible.

Good post.

Good point.

Internet also gives people access to forums where internet bullies can have a playground.

"The Information Superhighway Has Potholes"

"What lense should by with my new d-slr? Is the kit lense any good? Why does the kit lense cost so little and yet I see these other lenseses with the f/2.9 thing costing like $1299?"

"Is Canon or Nikon a better choice for my first serious camera?"

"I'm looking to buy a flash for a Nikon D40 and I have a total budget of $350 dollars. What flash unit should I buy? Is the Nikon one better than the Blitzenmeister 450 the camera store sales guy is pushing? Should I spend the extra $15 for the Nikon flash,or just go with the Blitzenmeister 450?"

"I bet you guys have all heard this noob question before, but what is the difference between the Canon Rebel ** and the Nikon D** models? Lol. Looking for any help I can get here."

Yawn. What's the big deal here? Noyze hasn't said anything new. Such thoughts about the Internet have been deliberated ad nauseum and in higher forums than this. Frankly I thought that post was short sighted and shallow, lacking all depth.

Evidently you have completely overlooked Asia.

What bugs me the most is that alot of information sought is information we should have been taught in school. The real problem is that people are lazy, not stupid. The internet is not what makes one stupid. The internet not more powerful is it... Quicker, easier, more seductive.
How do you know the good side from the bad?
Well... that up to you.

Seriously. The use of the internet is so simplistic, that people only see the 2 second sound bite of info. That’s it. They don’t research, or look even for curiosity sake. Just rely on the two word sentence for their news.

Personally, I say teach kids Latin first, reading writing and rhetoric, then, and ONLY then can they be allowed the net.

OMG NOYZE, "you have completely overlooked Asia!"

"Oh-my-Gawd NOYZE....how could you have completely overlooked Asia? You foolish man--you, why, you have completely overlooked Asia. Asia is huge! Where is Asia going to sit at the dinner table?"

"We don't have enough chicken pieces for Asia, or enough wine. You better get in the car and zip your butt right down to the grocery store and get some more wine,and some more chicken, and a few extra napkins, 'cause when Asia comes through that door tonight, and sits down to dinner at OUR table--we are going to have enough food for Asia!"

"Man, how could you have completely overlooked Asia!"

Most reactions

Back