Does the "Rule of thirds" always work?

Kethaneni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Below are 2 pictures one with the "Rule of thirds" applied to a certain extent and the other without the rule applied. Would like to know which one is better. C&C welcomed.
Extremely sorry about the signature on the image(I'm a paranoid)

Without rule of thirds

dsc0736copysign.jpg

With rule of thirds
dsc0760copysign.jpg

I would say that rules do no apply 100% of the time. I actually like both photos but I like the first one better.

The first has a more dynamic subject ... even though it is in the center.

The rule of thirds would have worked better in the second shot if you enhanced the tree further ... the tree is no longer the subject.

Honestly, I do think either shot is that strong.

Agreed, aesthetically I like both.

The rule of thirds is a guideline, as is the golden ratio, golden spiral, diagonals, and triangles. In certain cases, one of them is appropriate, and in some cases non are appropriate; abstracts are one genre of photography I can think of where these "rules" quite often don't apply.

:thumbup:

It's just another tool in the box to be applied when you feel it necessary. It may help make some shots interesting, and may ruin others.

Thanks everyone for you comments.
Here is one more picture.

dsc0751copysign.jpg

But yet, no one has mentioned that the RoT's have been applied in #1. Certainly the subject (tree) has been centered, but it also gives some symetry, which is where RoT can be tossed out the window. However, the horizon / sky is nicely used in applying the RoT's.

Sunsets are also great for useage of a Grad ND filter. The shadows are so dark that they are featureless. A GND will let you expose for the sky and still keep the foreground exposed to not look black.

I really liked the tree off center. May break the rules but its amazing.

Rules are meant to be bent once in a while.

The key is to learn all of the rules, and then go from there. When you understand how the rule of thirds works, and why it does, you can start to see when would be good opportunities.

And the first photo does have the tree taking up the center third. I uess, you COULD say it still uses the rule.

The Rule of Thirds was invented to make people think about different ways to compose the subject in the frame.

Sometimes the center is the best ... sometimes not.

Funnily enough, centre usually works when it fits the golden ratio. Or if you're going for symmetry.

I think that the third image is actually the strongest. But you also can think beyond simple symmetry and thirds. There are good examples where the subject is placed out at a 1/4th or 1/5th point, providing the rest of the image doesn't overpower the subject.

Here's one that came to mind:

3176497363_bf83530834.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back