Does this lighting kit seem good?

You're buying continuous lights, and if you're not planning to use them, it seems a waste of money. Can you buy just the umbrellas and stands?

you will find using the continuous lighting is much better then the flashes

Continuous lights are great for product photos. Not so great for people. Too bright to stare at, not bright enough for low ISO, high shutter speed, medium aperture photos.
Studio strobes have modelling lights, so you can see where shadows will fall before taking a test shot. And, they are brighter than small flash (Speedlites).
Small flash are convenient to take to locations. Lightweight stands, and still choice of modifiers.

If you can take off the continuous light and add small flash, without having to change the umbrella holder, then it seems like a great option. Use the continuous lights for products, and swap them for small flash for people. In Canada, a single Nikon umbrella with stand, holder, and bag is about $170.

Continuous lights are great for product photos. Not so great for people. Too bright to stare at, not bright enough for low ISO, high shutter speed, medium aperture photos.
Studio strobes have modelling lights, so you can see where shadows will fall before taking a test shot. And, they are brighter than small flash (Speedlites).
Small flash are convenient to take to locations. Lightweight stands, and still choice of modifiers.

If you can take off the continuous light and add small flash, without having to change the umbrella holder, then it seems like a great option. Use the continuous lights for products, and swap them for small flash for people. In Canada, a single Nikon umbrella with stand, holder, and bag is about $170.

you don't aim continuous lights straight into the persons face.
Studio lights are expensive as hell of the person is looking on eBay for lighting equipment they probably can't afford studio lights.
continuous lighting with the soft box or two is perfect for profile head shots, and you can add a flash on top of that if you want a catch light.

I have no problem shooting at 100 ISO using a soft box with continuous lighting.

As the OP indicates he's going to use them with a speedlight, I think we can leave the strobe/continuous lighting discussion at the door. I would suggest spending a little more money and getting a decent used lightstand, speedlight umbrella bracket and umbrella. I'm guessing that the ones in that kit are likely to give honest junk a bad name.

Studio lights are expensive as hell of the person is looking on eBay for lighting equipment they probably can't afford studio lights.
continuous lighting with the soft box or two is perfect for profile head shots, and you can add a flash on top of that if you want a catch light.

I have no problem shooting at 100 ISO using a soft box with continuous lighting.

Indignatious or not, I don't think it's fair to simply suggest continuous lighting is better without offering any reasoning. I personally find that your method is not better than flashes (i also find it odd that you'd suggest you still need a flash for catchlights). I think it was a fair challenge to suggest you elaborate on your claim.

OP already suggested he's going to use speedlights.

Since that's the case I wouldn't but this kit. It would require you purchasing the umbrella/flash adapters (at ~$6 a pop) anyway; negating any savings. I'm sure you can find a similar deal with flash stands.

I bought this cheap stand/umbrella back in 2011; still use it today: Amazon.com : ePhoto flash Photograph y Studio off Camera Flash Lighting Flash Mount by ePhoto INC UB1W : Photographic Lighting Umbrellas : Camera & Photo

For a few more bucks I'd much rather have this setup: Amazon.com : Polaroid Pro Studio Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit, Includes: Two (2) Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stands, Two (2) White Satin Interior Umbrella with Removable Black Cover, Two (2) Umbrella Adapters, One (1) Deluxe Pro Case : Photogr

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What happens when you need a battery source or have to shoot where continuous just isn't bright enough? How do you stop motion with continuous? If you crank your shutter speed up, it will kill the ambient. You can get a decent monolight for $150 that beats out continuous lights any day of the week.

$70 for a lighting kit usually means garbage anyways. If your budget isn't that much, you should probably piece together a kit from reliable inexpensive brands rather than buying something that's likely to get a collection of complete garbage.

And generally people that say one is better and that's it have no experience with the alternative.

I would personally rather use speedlights or strobes for people, but I would disagree with you about not so good for people. Seems that Peter Hurley is doing WAY better than okay with using continuous lighting.

I would personally rather use speedlights or strobes for people, but I would disagree with you about not so good for people. Seems that Peter Hurley is doing WAY better than okay with using continuous lighting.
Absolutely, but Peter uses Kino Flo gear; the Pro Foto of continuous lighting. There's a world of difference between that sort of pro-level gear, and eBay $75 lighting. As well, Peter's stock-in-trade is a very specific niche with a very specific look and style. IMO, strobed lighting gives you far more versatility for for less cost.

Absolutely, but Peter uses Kino Flo gear; the Pro Foto of continuous lighting. There's a world of difference between that sort of pro-level gear, and eBay $75 lighting. As well, Peter's stock-in-trade is a very specific niche with a very specific look and style. IMO, strobed lighting gives you far more versatility for for less cost.

Well, yeah, you had to get technical on my, huh??? That Phase One probably doesn't hurt his photos either. lol

Well, yeah, you had to get technical on my, huh??? That Phase One probably doesn't hurt his photos either. lol
No, I suppose not.

Thread cleaned and re-opened.

Any users attempting to restart the argument/fight will get a time out from the site.

Users are free to calmly and sensibly debate the merits of different lighting systems with an overall view toward helping answer the OP's question and budget constraints for lighting - this includes calm discussion on continuous VS flash lighting - however any attempt to restart or go back into the argument or posting habits that I've just removed will earn time-outs for those members.

I use both. I'm a busy head shot photographer and I use strobes for some scenario and I use continuous strip lights in another. The strobe shots are sharper because I can use f/8 at iso 64 but my continuous lighting allows for more blurring and feel.
Neither is superior.
6be1ee6a79c50167a8ed354e2abfa317.jpg

Strobe

f8cab88e3dba2cc3f2b3b79a79f52e5c.jpg

Continuous lighting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use both. I'm a busy head shot photographer and I use strobes for some scenario and I use continuous strip lights in another. The strobe shots are sharper because I can use f/8 at iso 64 but my continuous lighting allows for more blurring and feel.
Neither is superior.
6be1ee6a79c50167a8ed354e2abfa317.jpg

Strobe

f8cab88e3dba2cc3f2b3b79a79f52e5c.jpg

Continuous lighting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get the DOF with strobes as well by using a mixture of lower powers and ND filters. I can shoot wide open at f/1.8-f/2.8 with my lenses in broad daylight with my strobes with my set of ND filters that go all the way up to 12 stops, IIRC. They're B+W's, so not cheap, but I can get that look I want with one set of gear.

Most reactions

Back