Does this photo software even exist? ...

bradleyheathhays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a woodworker and I've got an idea for a piece that's gonna take some kind of photo mosaic software. Thing is, most of the software I've found so far keeps input photos in their original top up orientation, and I need the software to feel free to rotate the input pictures in the final mosaic.

Here's my idea. I'll be cutting LOTS of wood squares out about 1"x1", baking them in the over at varying times/temps so they have different hues, taking a picture of each one, labeling the blocks on the back to keep track of them, and then load the pics into some mosaic software to create a large picture. If the software were to allow the input pictures to be rotated in the final mosaic, not only could you not tell as these are pictures of wood blocks, but the end picture will end up looking better for it.

Thanks for the help.

I'm a woodworker and I've got an idea for a piece that's gonna take some kind of photo mosaic software. Thing is, most of the software I've found so far keeps input photos in their original top up orientation, and I need the software to feel free to rotate the input pictures in the final mosaic.

Here's my idea. I'll be cutting LOTS of wood squares out about 1"x1", baking them in the over at varying times/temps so they have different hues, taking a picture of each one, labeling the blocks on the back to keep track of them, and then load the pics into some mosaic software to create a large picture. If the software were to allow the input pictures to be rotated in the final mosaic, not only could you not tell as these are pictures of wood blocks, but the end picture will end up looking better for it.

Thanks for the help.
Perhaps orient the blocks as you wish before stitching the individual images together? Surely you have the required talent and artistic imagination!

I'm not sure exactly what you're describing. But it sounds like you want software that will flip photos top to bottom, upside down and reverse them left to right. A free program that does that is called Irfanview.
Download IrfanView for download

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 10
Oh jeez woodworkers are NOT exactly known to be artists. We can make attractive things but it's mostly just bringing the art out of the wood. I couldn't draw a stick figure if I had to.

Looking back at my original thread entry I see now that I concentrated too much on this photo rotation idea and missed the opportunity to ask about achieving this idea of mine in a more succinct way.

I'll start over. Is there any photo mosaic software out there that is designed to help someone make an actual physical, on the wall photo mosaic? Since I'll be using lots of pictures of very similar looking blocks of wood it would be good if the software was intelligent enough to know what you're trying to put together and give you an order in which the photos should be placed.

Oh jeez woodworkers are NOT exactly known to be artists. We can make attractive things but it's mostly just bringing the art out of the wood. I couldn't draw a stick figure if I had to.

Looking back at my original thread entry I see now that I concentrated too much on this photo rotation idea and missed the opportunity to ask about achieving this idea of mine in a more succinct way.

I'll start over. Is there any photo mosaic software out there that is designed to help someone make an actual physical, on the wall photo mosaic? Since I'll be using lots of pictures of very similar looking blocks of wood it would be good if the software was intelligent enough to know what you're trying to put together and give you an order in which the photos should be placed.
I recall a program that would make a single image comprised of many, many photos; almost like each photo being a pixel in the largwr image. If it still exists, I don't know, and I don't think there was any provision for printing.

I dabble in wordworking, as well; trying to expand my turning capability beyond pen kits. My current (non-turning) project is a live-edge fireplace mantle of Olivewood with sycamore trim.

Holy cow gk, did you just identify a program that will do this for me?! That last picture...is that a collage the program created using those smaller input pictures, and it has them separated out so that it shows each picture's individual file name below it? If so then THAT could be my program!! I hope I'm interpreting those pictures right. I need to learn more about the process going on there.

In the last pic, what is the larger picture supposed to represent? It seems like it's alluding to some kind of form, although I can't really tell. Whatever the intention the piece is awesome.

Snowbear the mantle project sounds awesome.

Any chance you're looking for a collage maker? There is a list of best pic collage makers if it helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back