What's new

Does this shot have interest?

MiFleur

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 3, 2013
Messages
885
Reaction score
206
Location
Colebrook, NH
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have copied PGRIZ comment in the why No Critique post because I am still not sure what to ask for when I submit a photo for critique.
but I need opinions to see if I am in the right direction, and taste matters as much as technical rules, how do you decide that a photo is interesting enough to hang on your wall?
How would you answers Pgriz questions?

Subjective:
· What it the overall feeling when you first look at the image?
· What attracts your attention?
· Is there a story or narrative that the image evokes?
· What does the photographer reveal or show to you?
· Is there a specific aspect that makes you want to look at this image again?
Objective:
· Are the camera choices (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, focus position, DOF, focal length, filtering) supporting or detracting from the overall feeling?
· It/are the position(s) of the main subject(s) in the frame supporting or detracting the overall feeling?
· Is the light arrangement contributing positively or negatively to the image?
· Are the post-processing choices contributing to the overall feel or distracting?
· Are the elements that are not the main subject(s) supporting or competing with the main subject(s)?
Bottom line: Is it an interesting image?


131012_6649 Milkweed seeds in its pod by MiFleur, Thanks for 400,000 views, on Flickr
 
the color is nice, the light is nice. The DOF and focus are nice. I don't like the shape. So I personally wouldn't hang it on my wall.
 
the color is nice, the light is nice. The DOF and focus are nice. I don't like the shape. So I personally wouldn't hang it on my wall.
Thank you for your simple and honest answer, much appreciated!
 
Let me see if I can answer the questions as you have posed them...

Subjective:

· What it the overall feeling when you first look at the image? It is an interesting image and I did stop and take a closer look at it.
· What attracts your attention? The seeds in the "pod", but then my eyes went to the "curly" thin in the lower left middle - I found this distracting.
· Is there a story or narrative that the image evokes? Not really - should it?
· What does the photographer reveal or show to you? Not sure - it is a nice image of a milkweed pod, but I think the "curly" thing detracts from the image. I would have removed it some how.
· Is there a specific aspect that makes you want to look at this image again? I think I went back for a second "look" to study the detail in the seeds within the pod.


Objective:
· Are the camera choices (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, focus position, DOF, focal length, filtering) supporting or detracting from the overall feeling? Don't know.
· It/are the position(s) of the main subject(s) in the frame supporting or detracting the overall feeling? I think that the position of the main "pod", if that is what you mean is okay.
· Is the light arrangement contributing positively or negatively to the image? Lighting is very flat, there fore there is very little contrast of shadows in the image. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
· Are the post-processing choices contributing to the overall feel or distracting? Not sure what these are or were.
· Are the elements that are not the main subject(s) supporting or competing with the main subject(s)? As I have said, the little "curly" thing competes for attention.

Bottom line: Is it an interesting image?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is an interesting image IMHO, but I think it could be a made more interesting. Get rid of the curly thing, either don't include in the image or remove it in post. I might also try and increase the contrast between the background and the "pod", unless you were going for a high key image, in which case you didn't quite make it. I do think that with a bit of experimenting, it could be both an interesting high key image and a low key image. Have you tried converting it to black and white to see if there are other possibilities in that medium?

My two-cents worth FWIW. HTH.

WesternGuy
 
Let me see if I can answer the questions as you have posed them...

Subjective:

· What it the overall feeling when you first look at the image? It is an interesting image and I did stop and take a closer look at it.
· What attracts your attention? The seeds in the "pod", but then my eyes went to the "curly" thin in the lower left middle - I found this distracting.
· Is there a story or narrative that the image evokes? Not really - should it?
· What does the photographer reveal or show to you? Not sure - it is a nice image of a milkweed pod, but I think the "curly" thing detracts from the image. I would have removed it some how.
· Is there a specific aspect that makes you want to look at this image again? I think I went back for a second "look" to study the detail in the seeds within the pod.


Objective:
· Are the camera choices (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, focus position, DOF, focal length, filtering) supporting or detracting from the overall feeling? Don't know.
· It/are the position(s) of the main subject(s) in the frame supporting or detracting the overall feeling? I think that the position of the main "pod", if that is what you mean is okay.
· Is the light arrangement contributing positively or negatively to the image? Lighting is very flat, there fore there is very little contrast of shadows in the image. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
· Are the post-processing choices contributing to the overall feel or distracting? Not sure what these are or were.
· Are the elements that are not the main subject(s) supporting or competing with the main subject(s)? As I have said, the little "curly" thing competes for attention.

Bottom line: Is it an interesting image?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is an interesting image IMHO, but I think it could be a made more interesting. Get rid of the curly thing, either don't include in the image or remove it in post. I might also try and increase the contrast between the background and the "pod", unless you were going for a high key image, in which case you didn't quite make it. I do think that with a bit of experimenting, it could be both an interesting high key image and a low key image. Have you tried converting it to black and white to see if there are other possibilities in that medium?

My two-cents worth FWIW. HTH.

WesternGuy

Thank you Western guy,
I agree with you aht the little curly thing was distractive, but did not notice it at first glance, the main subject is definitely the pattern made by the seeds inside the pod!
as far as post processing I made the colors subdued to really put the emphasis on the seeds, but I may have missed my goal!
I converted it to black and white, removed the curly thing and increased the contrast, I personally like the faded and soft colors better What do you think?
here it is $pod.webp
 
It's lovely, that's what came to mind; I like the creamy color and subtle pattern with the brown seeds. It made me wonder about it, because of the ivory color and texture to the background; it's unexpected in being a seed pod but in this color scheme. I looked again, which to me indicates there's something interesting there to bring the viewer back - it's memorable.

I might think about how it would look with slightly less space to the right and above it where there isn't any pattern to balance the rest of the photo, it might be a little more space than you need. I like the angle of the object in composition and actually like the small curled stem with a seedpod, it almost looks like a little bead. I assume the photographer knew how to set the camera appropriately etc. based on the final product and that's what to me seems important.

I like the color version but the B&W is too much gray, I don't see any black or white, and it just doesn't have the creamy look of the original.
 
Please don't make this a black and white! The colours are my favourite part. I like it, but I think I would prefer the subject take up a bit less of the frame. The DOF is great.
 
Yes, I do think this shot has interest. I like the color version better. I went back and looked at the image multiple times which says something. I also really like the tones of the shot.
 
Since you referenced my list, let me give you my reaction:

Subjective:
· What it the overall feeling when you first look at the image? The image gives me a feeling of potential.
· What attracts your attention? The dark shapes (the seeds) are a different tone from the rest of the image, and pull my focus first. Then I see the pod, then the surroundings.
· Is there a story or narrative that the image evokes? No story, but the narrative is the preparation of the next generation, with the drying pod about to release the next generation of seeds.
· What does the photographer reveal or show to you?The photographs shows the moment of transition from the parent to the child.
· Is there a specific aspect that makes you want to look at this image again? The diagonal shape, and the detail contained therein.
Objective:
· Are the camera choices (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, focus position, DOF, focal length, filtering) supporting or detracting from the overall feeling? The thin DOF isolates the seeds in the pod making it the main point of the image. The exposure reveals detail in the seeds and yet does not lose detail in any of the highlights. As such, the exposure choices do not get in the way of me contempleting the image.
· It/are the position(s) of the main subject(s) in the frame supporting or detracting the overall feeling? The diagonal positioning is visually more interesting than a straight horizontal or vertical orientation, and creates a bit of tension .
· Is the light arrangement contributing positively or negatively to the image? The light is very flat, yet in this image, this allows the background to recede, and allows focus on the darker seeds, which reverses the more usual attractioon to the lighter areas of the image.
· Are the post-processing choices contributing to the overall feel or distracting? The important elements are sharp, the tonality is warm, the processing appears to enhance the subject.
· Are the elements that are not the main subject(s) supporting or competing with the main subject(s)? The only issue would be the tendril that almost intrudes into the image. The rest of the background is supportive of the main subject.
Bottom line: Is it an interesting image? Yes. It is almost an illustrative-grade image of a milkweed pod, something we normally don’t pay any attention to. And yet here it is sympatetically rendered and quite pleasing to the eye. I’d give this an 85.
 
pgriz has got the C&C well under control! I like it mostly, but I find the extra space to the left and the tendril a bit disconcerting. I love the lovely light cream coloring, and the dark brown seeds look awesome.
 
Yes, I do think this shot has interest. I like the color version better. I went back and looked at the image multiple times which says something. I also really like the tones of the shot.

Strange, that's about what I thought. All in all, interesting shot. The seeds make it for me.
 
Pgriz, this critique contains a wealth of information not only for my picture but in the way to look at and evaluate either my work or any critique of other people work. Thank You very much!

Subjective:
· What it the overall feeling when you first look at the image? The image gives me a feeling of potential.
· What attracts your attention? The dark shapes (the seeds) are a different tone from the rest of the image, and pull my focus first. Then I see the pod, then the surroundings.
I find it interesting to see in which order the details in the pictures are noticed, and this can be applied to any photograph mine or somebody elses!

· Is there a story or narrative that the image evokes? No story, but the narrative is the preparation of the next generation, with the drying pod about to release the next generation of seeds.
Another little detail to differentiate the story and the narrative, useful to think of to evaluate my future posting

· What does the photographer reveal or show to you?The photographs shows the moment of transition from the parent to the child.
Right on

· Is there a specific aspect that makes you want to look at this image again? The diagonal shape, and the detail contained therein.
That is what I saw when I took the shot!
Objective:
· Are the camera choices (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, focus position, DOF, focal length, filtering) supporting or detracting from the overall feeling? The thin DOF isolates the seeds in the pod making it the main point of the image. The exposure reveals detail in the seeds and yet does not lose detail in any of the highlights. As such, the exposure choices do not get in the way of me contempleting the image.
Thank You

· It/are the position(s) of the main subject(s) in the frame supporting or detracting the overall feeling? The diagonal positioning is visually more interesting than a straight horizontal or vertical orientation, and creates a bit of tension .
Ok thanks, another interesting comments as to what is desirable or not, tension keeps the interest! I guess it is a matter of dosage.

· Is the light arrangement contributing positively or negatively to the image? The light is very flat, yet in this image, this allows the background to recede, and allows focus on the darker seeds, which reverses the more usual attractioon to the lighter areas of the image.
Great observation, I never payed attention to that!

· Are the post-processing choices contributing to the overall feel or distracting? The important elements are sharp, the tonality is warm, the processing appears to enhance the subject.
Thanks

· Are the elements that are not the main subject(s) supporting or competing with the main subject(s)? The only issue would be the tendril that almost intrudes into the image. The rest of the background is supportive of the main subject.
Something else I had not noticed at first.

Bottom line: Is it an interesting image? Yes. It is almost an illustrative-grade image of a milkweed pod, something we normally don’t pay any attention to. And yet here it is sympatetically rendered and quite pleasing to the eye. I’d give this an 85.[/QUOTE]
I am happy with that note, thanks teacher!
 
Bottom line: No, it's not an interesting image, at least for me...

Ok fine! Dare to give a little explanation? something to build on?
Believe me I understand the feeling, I would still like to know the main reason since you took the time to comment.

Thank you
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom