Doggie Portraits C&C

BekahAura

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
reflectivephotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I don't have any studio equipment yet I'm trying to practice making the most of the environment I'm in.

I took over 400 photos of little Jack, and I found that the natural light (sunlight from a window) looked better than my later pictures with flash and a high ISO to freeze the action. I only posted some of the naturally lit ones. Do you guys think the catchlights in his eyes are too much?

I also found that I need to use a smaller aperture for dogs, I was constantly getting either his eyes or his nose in focus, usually not both.

Any other comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

jack_01.jpg

jack_02.jpg

jack_03.jpg

jack_04.jpg

jack_05.jpg

jack_06.jpg

Bekah

I love 1 and 4 but i think that 2 is a little to centered. It just doesn't grab your attention.

These aren't bad shots. You did a pretty good job getting down to the level of the animal (except on #2). I'm tired of people posting pet shots taken from their eye level looking down, with the animal looking up at them. As far as the eyes and nose problem, it's actually ok to have the nose out of focus, and can actually be a really good thing. The strange thing about portraits, especially of animals, is that as long as the eyes are in focus, the image as a whole looks in focus. If the eyes are out of focus, even if everything else is in focus, the entire image looks out of focus. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Having said all of that, I think you missed focus on a lot of the shots. 4 and 6 seem to be the biggest culprits. Anyway, good job.

Hey,

I really like 1, and 3. The fourth looks like it has potential, try cropping it possibly? to maybe get more attention to the dog. Right now, something's missing, maybe try that as a close-up? :)

Great job! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back