Doing a wedding next week.

ddeerreekk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm assisting a film crew and doing some wedding shots next weekend and have a few questions. I have some experience with this kind of thing but I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

I guess my main two questions are:

-What are the 'key' shots that I should get for the wedding? There's the obvious ones, but I'm sure there's a number of other types of shots that you folks (as photographers) have found to be favorites of the couple or essential to give them?

-Secondly is about etiquette. Is there any definite no-no's or anything that I should be aware of at the wedding? I don't mean in terms of the photo's I'm taking, but how to act/dress/communicate at the wedding. Is flash always alright to use?

.........how to act/dress/communicate at the wedding. Is flash always alright to use?
Professionalism is always a plus.

At a minimum a quality dark polo shirt, slacks, shined loafers. Best yet is a dark suit, white shirt and tie. Be as unobtrusive as possible.

Flash is usually not allowed during a wedding ceremony. It's best to check with the venue since an occassional venue will allow it.

If the ceremony will be in a church there is a good chance they will want to limit/restrict where you shoot from. Again, check with the venue where the ceremony will be held.

Many clergy and a lot of wedding venues have little love for newbie wedding photographers because they don't check with them anywhere near far enough in advance, if at all.

Got all the gear you need?

Flash is usually not allowed during a wedding ceremony. It's best to check with the venue since an occassional venue will allow it.

Something is bugging me, is this an American thing? I've been to about 12 weddings (10 in Australia and 2 in Europe) and there was never such a restriction.

Something is bugging me, is this an American thing? I've been to about 12 weddings (10 in Australia and 2 in Europe) and there was never such a restriction.

Maybe you people were taught manners. Here, you offer a hand they take the arm. I would imagine the restrictions came about from pastors getting tired of photogs flashing them in the face, getting right in the middle of the ceremony and such things.

I have a bad feeling about this upcoming wedding and the kind of images the OP will be able to deliver after the event is over. Asking about what "key shots" to shoot and how to "act/dress/communicate" is a sure sign that the stated level of experience (ie, "I have some experience") is pretty darned limited experience.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a recipe for a totally disastrous wedding shoot.
Are you assisting a film crew? Or are you photographing the wedding? if you are photographing a wedding, why do you not know what to wear, how to act, or what photographs one is expected to be able to make?

A wedding is a once (or twice!) in a lifetime event for most people. It's customary for the photographer to be the experienced wedding veteran; the bride and groom are the ones who are supposed to be the inexperienced ones.
I sure hope you have a backup shooter...

is this an American thing?
No, some clergy and/or legal representatives, feel that flash is disturbing. Many of these have met number of photographer who "claim to be professionals" and during ceremony stick the camera & the flash into faces - something that NO ONE likes thus b/c of stupidity of few, others will suffer.

Ok fair call. We've all seen the video on youtube of the photographer standing infront of the bride and groom so she could get photos of the crowd.

I wonder if the 1000s of new wedding photographers who just bought their first digital camera and think they are professionals are to blame for this, but that's a topic for another day.

i've done my share of weddings (in canada) and I've never been told I couldn't use a flash... also in all the weddings I've been to (as a guest) theres always been flash..

I have a bad feeling about this upcoming wedding and the kind of images the OP will be able to deliver after the event is over. Asking about what "key shots" to shoot and how to "act/dress/communicate" is a sure sign that the stated level of experience (ie, "I have some experience") is pretty darned limited experience.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a recipe for a totally disastrous wedding shoot.
Are you assisting a film crew? Or are you photographing the wedding? if you are photographing a wedding, why do you not know what to wear, how to act, or what photographs one is expected to be able to make?

A wedding is a once (or twice!) in a lifetime event for most people. It's customary for the photographer to be the experienced wedding veteran; the bride and groom are the ones who are supposed to be the inexperienced ones.

you said it, we all thought it, but, we'll wait and see how he does.. maybe he's good at taking photos, just never done a wedding, and trying to get some advice.. i'm not really sure why he would say he's assisting a film crew.. he's clearly just taking photos of the wedding.. BUT.. you never know...

to the OP.. i'd google "wedding photos" and check out some of the many galleries, and see what they are doing, and glean some ideas from that.. as for attire, i do business casual.. i dont wear a tie, because I already have enough around my neck with 2 cameras and a flash chord, don't need something else to get tangled up.. as for shoes, I wear my chucks.. which have really nice insoles that I had custom done.. i want to be comfortable if i'm going to be on my feet all day (plus i have 3 herniated disks in my back, so I have to wear shoes with support..)

Last edited:
.........how to act/dress/communicate at the wedding. Is flash always alright to use?
Professionalism is always a plus.

At a minimum a quality dark polo shirt, slacks, shined loafers. Best yet is a dark suit, white shirt and tie. Be as unobtrusive as possible.

If the ceremony will be in a church there is a good chance they will want to limit/restrict where you shoot from. Again, check with the venue where the ceremony will be held.

Many clergy and a lot of wedding venues have little love for newbie wedding photographers because they don't check with them anywhere near far enough in advance, if at all.

Got all the gear you need?

Thanks for the advice. The respectable dress and professional mannerisms are a no-brainer, I was more curious about shooting with flash, if there are common rules that should be followed during the ceremony, that sort of stuff.

You raise a good point about asking and checking everything with the venue and priest beforehand - I'll make sure to do so.

As for the gear - I believe so. Lenses, spare body, off camera flash (two if needed - not sure about that yet), all of that stuff.

Ask the officiant (and if it is an old church or historic place I ask the church as well). Sometimes the officiant may say go for it but the church doesn't want you to. Probably 1/10 weddings I am not allowed to use flash. Which is fine as I rarely shoot with flash in the church unless it is abysmal and that is only for the procession, recession and key moments such as the kiss. The rest is totally reliant on ninja skills (also known as fast lenses and high ISO ;)

Knowing proper wedding etiquette and having a good eye/being able to take quality photographs are two completely different things. The couple in question is completely aware of my abilities and experience and have seen my portfolio.

As for the film crew - it's a bit of a confusing situation, but to sum it up the couple couldn't afford a photographer for the event, however they hired a film crew (who's a friend of the family) and as a result got a good deal. The film company had seen my portfolio and decided to hire me themselves to shoot the photos and offer it as a bit of a package deal.

Honestly, I don't think it's your place to judge what type of quality photographs I can deliver or how experienced of a photographer the couple should be able to afford.

you said it, we all thought it, but, we'll wait and see how he does.. maybe he's good at taking photos, just never done a wedding, and trying to get some advice.. i'm not really sure why he would say he's assisting a film crew.. he's clearly just taking photos of the wedding.. BUT.. you never know...

to the OP.. i'd google "wedding photos" and check out some of the many galleries, and see what they are doing, and glean some ideas from that.. as for attire, i do business casual.. i dont wear a tie, because I already have enough around my neck with 2 cameras and a flash chord, don't need something else to get tangled up.. as for shoes, I wear my chucks.. which have really nice insoles that I had custom done.. i want to be comfortable if i'm going to be on my feet all day (plus i have 3 herniated disks in my back, so I have to wear shoes with support..)

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by the negativity on these forums sometimes. But yes, you're correct, we'll wait and see how I do. It's not like I had no idea about any of this, as stated in the original post, I just want to be as prepared as possible. Knowledge is power - the more perspectives and viewpoints and ideas I can get the better.

Negativity is only for weddings. Take professional photos of many other things and if something doesn't turn out you can just reshoot the following day. But screw up a wedding and a red faced bride a sharp knife may be the last thing you ever see.

The principle is, if you need to ask the question then you don't have enough experience to be a primary photographer. Many of these people got into the industry by being an apprentice and bag holder for many years, and not just being a good photographer thinking "maybe I'll do a wedding"

You may be fine, but this is a kind of a warning not to take things lightly.

The flash no no is usually in churches, some dont allow it.
as for the key shots, a lot of photographers miss the groom. when the bride is comming down the isle focus on the groom for a second, you'll either capture a moment of pure bliss or striking fear!

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by the negativity on these forums sometimes. But yes, you're correct, we'll wait and see how I do. It's not like I had no idea about any of this, as stated in the original post, I just want to be as prepared as possible. Knowledge is power - the more perspectives and viewpoints and ideas I can get the better.
don't take the comments personally......once the door opens and the bride makes her entrance, it's showtime for you....things start happening very quickly, and you don't have the luxury of a retake.....regardless of what is "planned", there will be changes that will require you to react on the fly...

good luck and let us know how things go!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back