Dolphins.... printing screw up... sorta

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
I took this picture a few years ago at Sea World in Orlando. This is in the underground tunnel next to the dolphin tank and shooting through the acrylic wall. the lab tried to color correct thinking I was underwater and moved the Cyan way too high. But the end result was sorta neat so I kept them.

What do you think?

dolphins.jpg

Also at Sea World...

crane.jpg

Scott WRG Editor said:
the lab tried to color correct thinking I was underwater and moved the Cyan way too high.

I wouldn't use that lab again. The proper color correction for underwater shots would be to add red, the opposite of cyan.

ksmattfish said:
Scott WRG Editor said:
the lab tried to color correct thinking I was underwater and moved the Cyan way too high.

I wouldn't use that lab again. The proper color correction for underwater shots would be to add red, the opposite of cyan.

I'm not print savy, all I know is that the prints came back way too blue, which fit the subject well. A similar picture on a seperate roll came out fine but sort of pale. I sorta like the way it came out. :)

I love both of them. I wish I could see a little more clarity on the first one but it is still very nice.

ksmattfish said:
Scott WRG Editor said:

I'd have to agree with Matt. I like this photo, Scott, and this kind of "mistake" is a pass because of the nature of the image. That said, it's one thing to use PS to obtain more deliberate surreal effects, but in this case the photo lab really DID screw up here. Since it's been a couple of years since you took the photo, I'm guessing they've either gotten their act together or you've found a different lab. :wink:

I like the second photo, as well. You have a couple of nice captures here! :D

terri said:
I'd have to agree with Matt. I like this photo, Scott, and this kind of "mistake" is a pass because of the nature of the image. That said, it's one thing to use PS to obtain more deliberate surreal effects, but in this case the photo lab really DID screw up here. Since it's been a couple of years since you took the photo, I'm guessing they've either gotten their act together or you've found a different lab. :wink:

Yeah it was one of the major mistakes with a happy outcome. I've since run hundreds of roll through that lab with no problem. Everybody is entitled to one mistake... two if they are cute. :wink:

you also need to remember here that the labs don't know what each individual person is looking for. You are trained to make the photo look as good as possible to your eye - maybe this printer thought it looked good like that? Also - I am sure if you were unhappy (which you aren't) - you would be able to take it back and tell them - i'm sure they would probably redo it for you with no problems.

I like this photo too... Good work

fadingaway1986 said:
you also need to remember here that the labs don't know what each individual person is looking for. You are trained to make the photo look as good as possible to your eye - maybe this printer thought it looked good like that? Also - I am sure if you were unhappy (which you aren't) - you would be able to take it back and tell them - i'm sure they would probably redo it for you with no problems.

I like this photo too... Good work

I can definately see the tech's reasoning in shifting the blue, one reason I wasn't mad, the other being I liked the effect. And the lab would have reprinted them at my request but I liked it too much.

Thanks for the comment.

Most reactions

Back