Don't buy gas May 19th

Walt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Don't Buy Gasoline on
Wednesday May 19

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN Canada or the USA DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BUTT " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF CANADA & THE USA SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

...OR we could all buy more fuel efficient cars and stick it to them everyday. Also if you can afford it and your area has plenty of sunlight you can get solar panels on top of your house. Some people around here have reported paying nothing for electricity ever since they got solar panels installed. They are actually making money because the extra electricity they make actually gets sent through our gridlines, which causes PG&E to pay them for the electricity.

Although the high initial cost to get solar panels installed is not for everyone right now but I've heard that there are government funding for those that qualify. Quite a few companies around here are going that route though so hopefully it will be a trend.

markc said:
Info on Snopes. It's not really effective.
Thanks for the article markc. That's basically what I wanted to say but they did it so much better. :D

The boycott isn't really a boycott because as the article pointed out people would only be shifting their purchasing date to a later day. Only a constant change in our gasoline consumption would have a real effect.

I believe the following quotes sums up the article pretty well for those of you who don't want to read it all:
No amount of consumer gimmickry and showmanship will lower its price in the long run; only a significant, continuous reduction in demand will accomplish that goal. Unfortunately, for many people achieving that goal would mean cutting down on their driving or opting for less desirable economy cars over less fuel-efficient models, solutions they find unappealing.

An event like a "gas out" can sometimes do some good by calling attention to a cause and sending a message. In this case, though, the only message being sent is: "We consumers are so desperate for gasoline that we can't even do without it for a few days to demonstrate our dissatisfaction with its cost." What supplier is going to respond to a message like that by lowering its prices?

I don't normally pass those sorts of things on. Common sense would tell you that within a dasy normal sales would be the same. Just makes it difficult for the station owners to staff for the highs and lows. :oops:

That would be day, not dasy! Lousy keyboard!!!

No worries, Walt. It is nice to think you can do something about it when gas prices go so high you can't afford to drive to work.

markc said:
There are so many of those damn things out there. I've passed a couple on myself. Now I usually check everything on Snopes. It's a great place for looking that kind of stuff up.

I love that site. People no longer make the mistake of sending me those emails because of it. Not to long ago at work the VP of network operations, a guy about three levels up from me, sent one through our company email about hypodermic needles infected with aids lodged in the handles of gas pumps and warning us all to be careful.

I hit reply all and sent one back to the link on snopes and told them I had enough crap to read without any help from them. The really funny part is that they have sent out company memos in the past about sending these kind of emails.

At my place of employment, leaders are like eagles....we don't have any there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back