Don't laugh at me

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by aurrasing, Mar 1, 2018.

1. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Don't worry about manual focus, leave it on autofocus. It won't affect your aperture.

Having a look through your shots they look better, all but the last one looks a little underexposed to me. But definatley better. I do notice these are all at ISO 1600, is there a reason why you kept it at that setting? It's great if you are not getting movement blur at 125th though!

More depth of field would be another improvement that could be made (as others have pointed out by changing your aperture to f8) though looking at your settings this would mean that for the same exposure your ISO would be maxed out at 6400. Which is not necessarily an issue but it is an indicator that you may need supplimental lighting for the group shots of the ferrets.

2. aurrasing

aurrasing TPF Noob!

The reason I kept it at this setting is because my camera is an alien object. Lol I bought it in 2008. I only ever used auto. I turned that wheel once, got scared and turned it back. I probably used about 10 times throughout a year and then it never left the case after 2009. I've always wanted a simple point and shoot because all the options on this camera are useless to me because I don't know what it means. I am now learning though. There's no point in buying a new camera though because I don't aspire to be a photographer. I do want a waterproof sandproof dropproof one so my stepson can use it in the forest and pool and such.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3. aurrasing

aurrasing TPF Noob!

What does this do. I turned it a bunch of times and it got brighter photos (orangey coloured because the room is dark) but they also got blurry. Can someone just come hold my hand. 1520218366302.jpg

4. aurrasing

aurrasing TPF Noob!

I can't use flash with the ferrets. The light in the room will be fixed soon. My boyfriend screwed up the wiring so now he has to fix it hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime I'm just pushing buttons to see what they do and I feel like there's no logic to it.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The front command wheel adjusts exposure parameters; which parameters depends on the exposure "Mode" the camera is set to. In P mode for example, moving that wheel adjusts the shutter speed AND the lens aperture, in lock-step. In Av mode, that wheel adjusts the aperture value (hence the mode name of 'Av'), while the camera meter selects the right shutter speed.

The camera manual ought to explain things additonally. I liked the ferret pics!

6. happasmith

happasmith TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have you tried using a smart phone? Sometimes smart phones tend to be even more effective especially for beginners who just wanna get a nice shot.

7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Cool, there's a reason I asked and depending on the answer it could have changed what I recomended next. A lot of learning photography is trial and error and we've all been there at somepoint unsure of settings so don't worry about it.

ok, here is what I'd do:

Turn the big mode dial to M (manual mode, this will let you adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO).

Then using the front command wheel in your picture turn it a couple of times and you should see the shutter speed change. Set it to 125.

Next press the ISO button and turn the wheel again, you should see the ISO change. Keep turning it up so the numbers increase, at the maximum it should go to auto (after 6400 the next one should be auto)

lastly press the Av button with your thumb and holding it down rotate the front command dial in your pic, you should see the aperture value change. Set it to f8.

You should then be ready to try some shots! let us know how you get on.

8. aurrasing

aurrasing TPF Noob!

Thank you weepete. Still no light in the room but I did play around with my camera and set it to what you said. Just by that I am learning the options and what they do. I like m more than tv because I can control everything. I've tried reading the manual but it's very boring and I get distracted easily. I wish I knew about this forum years ago. I think I'm going to make a mini "studio" to get photos of the fur babies. This way I can have lighting and it will be small enough they won't be able to run away lol. That was my other issue. They don't listen to commands very well. One is actually throwing a fit in the litter box as I type this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    What weepete is suggesting is that you shoot in Manual exposure setting mode, at a shutter speed of 1/125 second, and at lens aperture setting of f/8, and using AUTO-ISO mode. The last part in weepete's suggestion is absolutely critical: that the camera be set to AUTOMATIC ISO Adjustment mode!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

photography-shutter-speed-aperture-iso-cheat-sheet-chart-fotoblog-hamburg-daniel-peters-11.jpg

This may help explain some terms and their use.