Doo, Doo, Doo, Lookin' Out My Backdoor (Photo Heavy)

So jealous of all the beautiful birds in your yard! I can't seem to find much variety around me...but lots of cardinals and some warblers. Just recently found a house finch also! Great pictures!!

In Charleston? Really? I'm really surprised; I'd think you would have incredible variety there. Charleston is probably my second favorite place in the entire world (the first being where I am now); if I were going to move anywhere, that's where I'd probably want to live. I know you have some great birding opportunities close to you. Do you have much out in the way of feeders or anything? I'd just think if you put feeders and a birdbath out and give it a little time, you'd get quite a large variety!

Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time! And honestly, I haven't done much birding outside of the island I live on yet! Now that the weather is better, I'm getting out to different places more! I put a feeder out last week....nothing yet! :grumpy:

So jealous of all the beautiful birds in your yard! I can't seem to find much variety around me...but lots of cardinals and some warblers. Just recently found a house finch also! Great pictures!!

In Charleston? Really? I'm really surprised; I'd think you would have incredible variety there. Charleston is probably my second favorite place in the entire world (the first being where I am now); if I were going to move anywhere, that's where I'd probably want to live. I know you have some great birding opportunities close to you. Do you have much out in the way of feeders or anything? I'd just think if you put feeders and a birdbath out and give it a little time, you'd get quite a large variety!

Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time! And honestly, I haven't done much birding outside of the island I live on yet! Now that the weather is better, I'm getting out to different places more! I put a feeder out last week....nothing yet! :grumpy:

Put out at least TWO, in different spots. And then wait. And wait. When I first put out feeders, it took several weeks before even the ordinary birds starting checking them out. At the time, I'd have told you all I had was cardinals and sparrows, a few wrens and mockingbirds. It took a while--months even--to start seeing any other birds at my feeder. Some of it is that we don't even REALIZE what's out there, in our own backyard. I had several types of woodpeckers, I'd just never noticed them before. The other part is that truly, if you feed them, they will come. You'll start getting a greater and greater variety at your feeders. And once you start seeing them at your feeders, start trying different TYPES of feeders, too. Like a finch sock with thistle, and one feeder with just black oil sunflower seeds, and a hummingbird feeder…and…and…and… :D

I envy you for the Charleston location! I'm sitting here right now trying to decide where to go on vacation. I'd kinda like to go somewhere I've never been before--south Texas, Lousiana maybe--but Charleston always calls to me...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back