Dr. Kobres Lightscoop

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
light scoop digital photography lighting built-in flash Olympus Nikon Fuji Canon Pentax

I just bought this thing and I friggin love it. Just thought I'd show any of the new people out there. It's a GREAT alternative if you can't afford an external flash. It was 20 bucks, which is much less than the near $300 for an external flash.

I will post some comparisons when I have a moment.

In any case, for those of you who are on the fence about getting an external flash yet despise how your pictures look with the built in flash, buy this and you will see a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.

I also bought the Fong Puffer Flash Diffuser and so far I like the lightscoop much more, although, I think they are solutions to two different problems, but I haven't found the problem where the Puffer works better than the lightscoop just yet. I'm confidence I will run into it sometime though...

Just remember you may need to up the ISO to get some real use out of it. On camera flashes are weak which is to say never designed to bounce of anything.

Just get an external flash, you will never look back.

This thread is almost 10 months old.

Geez, you're supposed to use this thing with the ISO set at 800? Sheesh...

:lol:

I could never figure out why when someone posts on an old thread people bring up how old it is, yet if you start a new thread they tell you to search and point you to an old thread.

Search, not rekindle the post. :lol:

(joke)

Still curious about it though... figured since it's an older thread maybe someone has some, oh... I don't know... insight? :D

I have not tried one of these. I have had very good luck with just using an index card bent at a 45 deg angle in front of my flash. I've cut the back to fit snugly in the hot shoe. You get light through the card as well as a bounce off the ceiling.

I also have tried the Gary Fong Puffer diffuser. For most situations...I like the index card better and I can buy 100 of them for $0.79

I have since bought an external flash...This is a good technique to keep in the back of your head when you don't have your external or on a budget.

This is using the card. I wanted to see how much light was passing through the card.
DSC_0169.JPG

Hopefully now the resurrection of this thread wasn't a lost cause.

Just my $0.02

Thanks unspoiled, I also have a Puffer on order - I tested a generic version and was happy with the results, it just didn't fit my hot shoe :lol:

I'll have to try the index card again... cool shot by the way.

I guess now that I think about it more, since I have an SB-400 - getting the Lightscoop would be kind of pointless. I think the SB-400 is even smaller in size and larger in performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back