DRAGONS!

SQUACKS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
FLIES that is! i suppose everybody has a subject that interests them close to home. these are the things i make pictures of in the backyard when i feel the need! lol!

df10.jpg

df12.jpg

df5.jpg

df8.jpg

df1.jpg

df13.jpg

df14.jpg

df3.jpg

luck!

thanks!

since a dragonfly has bout a zillion eyes facing in all types of directions they are pretty hard to sneak up on.

i have a native wildflower patch in my yard that they seem to like in the summer months.

the flies hover while hunting (they are voracious insect eaters!) but perch when resting. i usually sneak around looking for them and i usually spot them as they fly off! lol!

the thing to do is to set up your tripod and camera close to the place you saw it leave. they will eventually come back and sit on the very same spot. they seem to like certain spots and seem to be somewhat territorial. it seems as though if you are already there, they will accept the fact you may be part of the flora.

you will need to move very slowly when they do come to roost again though and it will take a bunch of patience.

i've seen your photo's and know that you do not lack patience......lol!

anyways, that's the only way i have been able to get close to dragonflies for macro shots.

luck!

The second photo really stands out for me in this all in all very interesting and pretty series of dragonflies!

Most reactions

Back