Drama at the suet basket

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sometimes the birds take turns and sometimes they don't...
A female red-bellied woodpecker (a.k.a. Bride of Clucky) and an unnamed Hairy woodpecker.
I like how the Hairy woodpecker wound up inverted.

1)
_0007027PS1 16x9 - Copy.jpg
2)
_0007028 PS1 16x9 - Copy.jpg
3)
_0007029PS1 16x9 - Copy.jpg

Cool set, love the action shots! Those hairy woodpeckers really know how to "strike a pose."

Cool set, love the action shots! Those hairy woodpeckers really know how to "strike a pose."

Thanks.

We also get Downy woodpeckers at the feeder and they have been a brawling bunch lately! Two got into such a huge fight that they both, while in a swirling ball of squawks and feathers, hit the ground with a loud thump only to fly back up and continue fighting. Nope, no pictures of that action.

I call those crack baskets... nice set.

Great action set. Very dramatic with the lighting.

Great action set. Very dramatic with the lighting.

Thank you.

The lighting is a fortunate byproduct of the feeders being brightly lit while the line of trees in the background are in shadow.
I actually experimented a little this time. I focused on the basket and then locked it. I set my metering spot off the the right side in my viewfinder so I could get the birds flying in from the left side (where the trunk of the tree is) and metered off the suet. When I saw them leave the tree, I fired off a burst.

Reactions: PJM

Most reactions

Back