Dream Pelicans

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another "motion blur" type pic that I thought came out kind of cool. (I'm new at this and it ain't easy) I'm trying for that dreamy appearance. It could be better, yes (slower shutter perhaps, suggestions???) and they will get better in time with a little experimentation and practice.

868 (2)pp.jpg

That makes my head hurt, but I like it. Good job.

It's amazing what you can do with your mistakes....:).....Nice one

It's amazing what you can do with your mistakes....:).....Nice one

Thanks, but it's no mistake, I purposely used a slow shutter of 1/40, f/8 and ISO 100 to create the exaggerated blur for effect on this particular pic. The technique is called "Motion Blur Photography". Here's a link in case you're interested in giving it a try. A small zoom lens would probably work best for flying birds.

How To Guide: Motion Blur Photography

Nice shot.

Yeah, it ain't easy. I just did a "photo walk" on this technique. We worked on keeping a still background and letting the subject blur as it moved across the background; and locking on the subject and letting the background blur as we panned. The latter was definitely the hardest. We used the tripod while panning to minimize camera shake.

Nice shot.

Yeah, it ain't easy. I just did a "photo walk" on this technique. We worked on keeping a still background and letting the subject blur as it moved across the background; and locking on the subject and letting the background blur as we panned. The latter was definitely the hardest. We used the tripod while panning to minimize camera shake.

Thanks! I haven't tried that yet, I'm just starting out with the motion blur technique but as much as I dislike using a tripod I'll give the tripod/still background a try. I was thinking about doing the same thing handheld but with a twist but I believe I'll get better results with a tripod. I have a decent gimble head so why not use it, right? If you care to, put up some of yours, I'd like to see them.

I posted a couple shots of blurry subject on still background in the thread "Ghost Skaters" in this gallery. The two right here are trying to pan with and freeze the subject and let the background blur. I didn't post them earlier because I didn't think they turned out that great, but not bad for a first try.

1/25, f/4.5 for both, panned with camera on tripod

Panning-1 by Peter Martin, on Flickr

Panning-2 by Peter Martin, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

I like them quite a bit. It was your first attempt, who could complain? Good job! #1 is my favorite. Keep it up!

Most reactions

Back