Drones and Photography... What side do you take?

I really don't know where I come down on the issue of drones yet, but for the most part, I agree with the bans for many of the reasons others have already stated--the noise, the potential harm to wildlife, etc. when some yahoo with a drone wants to get too close, etc.

But it does remind me of something I heard recently:
You know how Amazon is experimenting with using drones for package deliveries?
You know what rednecks call that?
"Skeet shooting with prizes." :lmao:

You know, I wanna play with a "drone", mainly since I've been wishing I could do this since I was probably 7. But the ban thing... I get it. They've got to be loud, and they just don't belong in some places. I'd rather not piss off a bear with one, then have it figure out where I am... Just sayin.

This sounds like a discussion that should be on the FAA forum instead of here since they have been charged by congress to set the rules and regulations for the use of drones of all types.

I read recently about an air care chopper being delayed or prevented from landing because of a drone being flown over the scene of a car accident (can't remember where it happened, or where I read it). That's enough for me - even one situation of someone being inured badly enough to need air care to get them transported and a drone being in the way, then there need to be regulations for their use.

And I think so too Robbins, drone doesn't seem like the best word to describe them, more like big toys that people need to go fly in their own back yards! or someplace where they won't interfere with helicopters or disturb wildlife etc.

Just Fyi..

Its not so much of a 'whirr'.. more of a loud screaming sound like a swarm of angry bee's in a megaphone.. Not what i would call 'tranquil'.
Depends on the power. I saw a guy flying an electric quadcopter a few months ago and it was truly quiet. Prop noise, yes; engine noise, no. He was flying it over a lake taking photos of a group of kayakers and they were basically ignoring it.

Here is the solution.

"No officer I am not flying a drone, I am just taking my cat for a walk."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, no shoot any damn thing you want. don't ban em.

Where I shoot at estuaries, inlets, forests, lakes etc, its very quiet. For the wildlife it needs to be. If I was shooting (with a camera) a Kingfisher, Swallow, Stilt, etc, etc and one of those things flew over ........ and if I had a shotgun, I would consider it fair game. Guns are not my thing though, so maybe a rock if it came close enough :)

Some of us spend hours just waiting to get a shot or the right shot. Some of the subjects are endangered species and they don't need it. So IMO, not a good idea, humans do enough daft things now in national parks and reserves .

Danny.

This sounds like a discussion that should be on the FAA forum instead of here since they have been charged by congress to set the rules and regulations for the use of drones of all types.

Just FYI... Here is the current FAA rules/law:

• You are currently allowed to fly a radio controlled craft with a camera on it. (~30 states are trying to outlaw cameras on R/C Aircraft)
  • Taking video/photos for PERSONAL use from radio controlled aircraft is OK.
  • Selling or Making money off the photos/Video is NOT OK. Unmanned aerial systems for commercial purposes is ILLEGAL.

You are currently allowed to fly a radio controlled craft with a camera on it. (~30 states are trying to outlaw cameras on R/C Aircraft)Taking video/photos for PERSONAL use from radio controlled aircraft is OK.
Selling or Making money off the photos/Video is NOT OK. Unmanned aerial systems for commercial purposes is ILLEGAL.

The FAA's stance is pretty clear, there is also a recent court case that muddies this up a little bit, and questions if the FAA has the authority to enforce this policy.

Best thing is that they could just put these under the same laws and restrictions as flight capable model aircraft - possibly bring in a few more to further restrict public us. It's a shame in a way, but very understandable considering how dangerous they can be to people and wildlife; plus with their cheap price they are open to a much wider market segment.

I read recently about an air care chopper being delayed or prevented from landing because of a drone being flown over the scene of a car accident (can't remember where it happened, or where I read it). That's enough for me - even one situation of someone being inured badly enough to need air care to get them transported and a drone being in the way, then there need to be regulations for their use.

And I think so too Robbins, drone doesn't seem like the best word to describe them, more like big toys that people need to go fly in their own back yards! or someplace where they won't interfere with helicopters or disturb wildlife etc.

So yup, I was thinking may RCFA would be a good term for them. Remote Controlled Flying Annoyance.. lol

So yup, I was thinking may RCFA would be a good term for them. Remote Controlled Flying Annoyance.. lol

$Grouchy_Old_Man_Waving_His_Fist_and_Cane_100922-144538-755042.jpg

"Just keep them drones off my lawn!"

You are currently allowed to fly a radio controlled craft with a camera on it. (~30 states are trying to outlaw cameras on R/C Aircraft)Taking video/photos for PERSONAL use from radio controlled aircraft is OK.
Selling or Making money off the photos/Video is NOT OK. Unmanned aerial systems for commercial purposes is ILLEGAL.

The FAA's stance is pretty clear, there is also a recent court case that muddies this up a little bit, and questions if the FAA has the authority to enforce this policy.
Actually the FAA stance is not clear. They have been charged by congress to create the laws that will regulate drones. They do have the authority, that is not under any dispute. They have also been charged with defining the distinction between hobby rc craft and drones. They have untill sometime in 2015 to have these rules written and in place.

Most reactions

Back