Dropped my D90 just now :(

Davor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im kind of freakin out, i just dropped my D90 with the grip on and my 50mm 1.8 on the carpet floor from about 5/ft off the ground. I inspected everything and i see no visible damage and everything operates, the 50mm feels a bit loose now but still auto-focuses and takes pictures. But when i shake the camera i hear something near the top of the camera loose on the inside (like a piece of plastic). Should i be worried? i mean this is my baby i can't afford to replace right now.

The only thing you can do is take it for a test drive. Fingers crossed that it's nothing major!

If your 50 mm feels a bit loose it's likely the lens mount flange is bent.

Yes, you should be worried. Nothing should be ratling around inside the camera, and quit shaking it around as you could just make things worse.

The camera should be inspected either by Nikon or by one of their authorrized repair facilities since it would be a useer error issue and not a warranty issue.

How would i find out if my city has one of these authorized nikon repair facilities. Damn it, i wish i had the money i would go out and buy a d300s right now

I dropped my White Lightning XL1600 moniolight last night from about 3 feet off the floor. THUD! Damn metal housing! :thumbsup:

My D300 with 24-70mm toppled over when my toe caught a tripod leg....... camera was fine, the lens had a $300 Rx repair.

I've dropped the D700 from............ naw, just kidding. :crosses fingers:

Well, if it makes you feel any better I had my D700 and 24-700 2.8 less then a month before I dropped it on a ceramic floor. My camera strap came unraveled. Yep, it did. Busted my lens, and knocked my camera. My lens was severely damaged, but the total repair was about 400 for a total overhaul of EVERYTHING. I felt like I dropped one of my kids. I called Nikon and sent it in. It shouldn't be as expensive as replacement....I would say under 200. Sorry that happened to you. :(

Thanks for making me feel a bit better guys, if i dropped a d300s or a D700 i think id get a heart attack. So after i calmed down a bit i went back to the camera and didn't shake but just held it straight and moved it up and down, and it sounded like there was a small part that would move as i moved the camera, but no side to side just up and down. so i did some googling and allot of people reported this small rattle with new d90's and claim that its the rotation sensor that does that, then my girlfriend confirmed that she has also heard this noise before when i first bought the camera. I watched the mirror go up and down when i press the shutter and everything seems to operate fine without any strange noises. The 50mm also captures images fine and doesn't seem any different than before. Im just glad i didn't have my VR or Macro lens on it or even the flash. I guess the Nikon's are more durable than they feel, im still planning on upgrading this summer to the D300s unless a better one is announced. Well lesson learned; to pay more attention when handling camera equipment.

Phew! I'm glad all is well. :)

My camera strap came unraveled. Yep, it did. (
May I suggest to rid yourself of the Nikon strap ASAP. None of my Nikons have the original strap on them. Firstly, they are as uncomfortable as Hell and secondly, there are far better designs out there. I acutally have a TPF strap (don't know if they still sell them), but it basically an Optecka strap. The padded neck piece is quite nice, but I rarely have it connected. I much prefer the shortened strap as a day-to-day. This also allows me much less troubles when I attach my Black Rapids strap.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah i should look into the market for a new strap the Nikon one is annoying, its so damn big and always gets in the way. I guess the only real good point about it is that it says Nikon

I guess the only real good point about it is that it says Nikon

Nothing screams "Steal ME" more than a big fat NIKON on a big black and yellow strap. :lol:

No im actually serious, the fool is me for dropping my camera lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back