Drugs and Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Drum & Bass is always, always good. Heavy stuff like (old) Noisia, Teebee, Caylk and Dieselboy gets my creative juices flowing. Hospital Records stuff I find more suitable to serious post production.

Interesting side note: Pendulum (live set) will be at Coachella Music Fest here in California April, 25. HOLLA!!!!!!!

Love & Bass

You get Pendulum and Portishead.... I hate you! :er:
;) :lol:

Depends on the drug and the person. I know a number of people who do plenty of drugs, and their work is always lazy and poorly done. Then there are those who do drugs, and their work is awesome. People who are skilled/talented are going to be so whether or not they're on drugs, while people who don't care about their art are going to suck no matter what. Being high just pushes a person further in whatever direction they were going anyway.

Bill Maher has a great bit where he justified why pot should be legal because of the great art it inspired. What he said, to paraphrase: "Abbey road is worth 10 dead kids...Dark Side of the Moon is worth 100."

Heres the youtube:

What a genius.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I respect brilliant and creative work more if it wasn't done under the influence of drugs. I don't ever intend to take drugs, I believe that being naturally inspired and producing great work this way is the way forward.

Personally, I respect brilliant and creative work more if it wasn't done under the influence of drugs. I don't ever intend to take drugs, I believe that being naturally inspired and producing great work this way is the way forward.

Why on earth would that alter your perception of the work?

And how on earth would you know anyway?

Sorry, but I find that to be an ignorant viewpoint. Although, must be nice sitting up there on your perch above everyone else. :lol:

My writings and poetry were certainly more vivid and (potentially) creative when I was young and hitting the bong. Trouble is I have an addictive nature. Trying and achieving all those other levels for all those years only crushed that potential. Nowadays, having lived that life has given me the basis to be creative. I'll still take a toke, if you're offering, but that'll be the limit.

There are exceptions but practically everyone who tries to be creative on drugs produces really creative garbage. (including me -back when)

They don't call it being 'messed up' for nothing. ;)

I don't know if it makes me more creative but whatever I'm doing becomes more enjoyable. We used to get pretty drunk most days when we worked in the darkroom. It was fun. Sometimes I'll have a few drinks before i go do a studio session with someone modeling for me. It makes me less inhibited so it's easier for me to deal with getting people to pose for me.

Weed never agreed with me, makes me hungry and paranoid. Not real good for creativity.

There are exceptions but practically everyone who tries to be creative on drugs produces really creative garbage. (including me -back when)

They don't call it being 'messed up' for nothing. ;)

Especially The Beatles.

I've begun to look at creativity as a drug...when your are in the mode, flow IE..... got your mojo goin'...and really creating .....time seems to be altered, hunger & pain cease to exist....the world goes away, and the only thing that truly matters is whatever I'm creating..... I don't like anyone intruding into my Little world of creativity, when I'm there....I also can't wait to get back there again when I'm away from it.......just can't stop....

anyone else experience this?

Originally Posted by Mike_E

They don't call it being 'messed up' for nothing. ;-)

Hmmmmmm... let's see.......

Isaac Abrams, artist - LSD
Lewis Daniel Armstrong, musician - Marijuana
Marcus Aurelius, philosopher, Emperor of Rome - Opium
The Beatles, musicians - LSD, Marijuana
John Belushi, comedian, actor - Marijuana, Cocaine, Heroin
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, poet - Opium
Lewis Carrol, mathematician, photographer, author: "Alice in Wonderland" - Mushrooms
Jean Cocteau, playwrite: "Orpheus" - Opium
Salivor Dali, painter - Hashish
Charles Dickens, author - Opium
Thomas Alva Edison, inventor, industrialist - Cocaine
Ben Franklin, inventor, publisher, scientist - Opium, Marijuana
Sigmund Freud, physician - Cocaine
Jerry Garcia, musician - LSD, Marijuana, Heroin
Jimi Hendrix, musician - LSD, Heroin
Billie Holliday, singer - Opium
John Keats, poet - Opium
Jack Nicholson, actor - LSD, Marijuana
Pablo Picasso, painter - Opium
Edgar Allen Poe, poet - Opium
Jules Verne, author - Cocaine
... and the list goes on... (JoSon.com)

People who are skilled/talented are going to be so whether or not they're on drugs, while people who don't care about their art are going to suck no matter what. Being high just pushes a person further in whatever direction they were going anyway.

...my sentiments exactly!

if you get too messed up, you can't function... so do it just right ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back