Dslr camera for Video & Photography

Nikon? No. I apologize if I conveyed the impression that I was talking about Nikon.

No Canon or Nikon DSLR has a video-capable viewfinder or unlimited continuous video recording.

Only the Panasonic GH3 has all of these features: moire-resistance; fully adjustable aperture, ISO and shutter speed while shooting video; a video-capable viewfinder; unlimited continuous video recording and 1080/60p in-camera slow motion.

These are not unsupported assertions. I shoot with this camera every day.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
:) - I've had a few jobs where my title was "analyst" too.
Then you should have known better about anecdotes :p

I'm not asking anyone to trust me. Go rent these cameras, as I have, and shoot them side by side under controlled conditions.
I do put reasonable faith in consensus, which you seem to be conforming with. :)

Imagine Camera A shoots everything in the universe properly, except rooftops, brickwork, venetian blinds, patterned fabrics, wedding veils, closeups on hair, striped shirts, etc.

And Camera B shoots all of these subjects properly - and has video features that Camera A lacks (e.g., a video-capable viewfinder, unlimited continuous video recording, 1080/60p in-camera slow motion).
Since those are obviously intended to be specific real-world camera, you know you are mis-representing them (did Nikon add phase-shift-AF during record since I checked? How about the ability to change F during video?)

The last two questions asked here are disingenuous at best, and also really reflect a "noobie" point of view on video. Autofocusing during a shot while shooting video is vastly overrated by people who have not shot much video. Most professional cinematographers/videographers will tell you, the first thing you do is switch AF to OFF, and leave it OFF. ALmost nothing screams,"This video was shot by a newbie!!" as a shot in which a tripod-mouted camera left in autofocus makes AF correction after correction after correction as one person moves his or her arms while talking. OMFG...it's almost un-watchable.

And changing aperture during video...yes, this is one of the "feature check box" items that,as a former camera and video salesman, I believe Nikon DELIBERATELY left un-checked in the D600-class cameras, as a way to create an artificial "specification advantage" to the D800. Basically, an advanced videographer is going to figure out the RIGHT exposure before making the shot, based on the ISO and the shutter speed the frame rate gives, and then he will SET the aperture manually, and then proceed to film the shot. OR, and this is the disingenuous part...if the user is using a lens with a manual iris control, he uses his left thumb and index finger and "tweaks the f/stop"...OMG...by HAND!!!!!!!

Autofocusing during video recording and f/stop adjustment during recording. Wow. Talk about cherry-picking and mis-representing an issue with meaningless chit...

The last two questions asked here are disingenuous at best, and also really reflect a "noobie" point of view on video.
I have about a thousand hours of paid commercial video shooting under my belt.

Autofocusing during a shot while shooting video is vastly overrated by people who have not shot much video. Most professional cinematographers/videographers will tell you, the first thing you do is switch AF to OFF, and leave it OFF. ALmost nothing screams,"This video was shot by a newbie!!" as a shot in which a tripod-mouted camera left in autofocus makes AF correction after correction after correction as one person moves his or her arms while talking. OMFG...it's almost un-watchable.
You know what screams "newbie" even more? An actual newbie trying to keep manual focus.

I can list a dozen professional sites that disagree with you. Is this going to be a repeat of your claims regarding pre-AI lenses and nikon bodies where you first insult my sources (the manufacturer in that case) then provide your own sources which agree with me and disagree with you?

Yes. No Hollywood move will be shot with auto-focus; but this isn't that.

Speaking of disingenuous: He claimed (by implication) that Nikon (whatever) had "every feature" the Canon 70D had. That claim was wrong. Whether you personally like the feature is irrelevant. Your response on an entirely different topic (your opinion of the value of the feature) sits between disingenuous and trolling.

Autofocusing during video recording and f/stop adjustment during recording. Wow. Talk about cherry-picking and mis-representing an issue with meaningless chit...
I bow to your experience misrepresenting with meaningless chit..

Anyone can claim such a thing. Your immature/unprofessional method of replying suggests otherwise though.

Anyone can claim such a thing. Your immature/unprofessional method of replying suggests otherwise though.
That comment makes sense. People who shoot a bunch of video for sale are automatically mature. (though I would assert I responded in kind, just as your own post here has no relation to the topic, is flame-baiting, is disparaging without cause, and therefore shows the same lack of maturity you claim I do... though since I'm not aware you've claimed video experience, at least I cannot accuse of hypocrisy, as you've not claimed to be mature)

Odd on a photography forum that I never made that claim for stills though. You would think that would be the most obvious thing to invent.

But I applaud you. I made a claim about camera behaviors and was called "disenguious", "newbie", and accused of peddling "chit", now you have a post with no mention of cameras at all again calling me names.

Of course: I now respond in kind and the thread is completely derailed. How long would you like to continue this discussion about me? Because I can do it all day. I am my second favorite person and I love playing with bullies.

(PS. My apologies to the genuine posters on here for feeding the troll)

PPS. Auto-focus following hands just was never an issue (and most of what I shot was martial arts: so lots of work). The relatively deep depth of field, and using a camera that avoids "focus breathing" means that, even should the autofocus decide to change focus during movement, it's not terribly noticeable.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back