DSLR noob needs C&C !!(Somewhat offbeat pic)

kalni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found an old screwdriver set lying around and decided to capture it with my new d5000 :)
Comments appreciated.

4938141360_87a9caec6f_b.jpg

Thanks Dan, I realize it is a bit overexposed, and even one I posted yesterday was slightly overexposed. I took this with AP and a low ISO of 200 with no flash, should I be going completely manual and adjusting the shutter speed as well ?

BTW this is the pic from yesterday I am talking about,

4935367333_3672cb7323_b.jpg

The lower your F# the more light you let in (brighter pic) if I'm not mistaken.

You are right, but I wanted a low F for a shallow DOF, so in that case I guess
I will have to compensate with a higher shutter speed..

Yeah. Might have tried TV mode to see if it gave you what you wanted or full manual.

get Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I got it yesterday and have learned so much already! By the way like the pics :)

Nothing interesting is in focus. The middle of the bits are. Focus should have at least been on the heads of the bits. It is a good DOF study though.

No, the lower the number the less light you let in.

F/2 is a bigger f-number than f/16. Because the f-number is a fraction of the lens focal length (f = 1)

1/2 is a much bigger number than 1/16. ;)

The first photo has insufficient DOF for me, unless intended to be an abstract.

F/2 is a bigger f-number than f/16. Because the f-number is a fraction of the lens focal length (f = 1)

I am sure both are talking about the same thing :)
What twinklytoes is talking about is the number beneath the bar or the denominator, while you are talking about the reciprocal as a whole. It is quite ambiguous I guess in that some talk about "f/" and some talk about only "f".

I am sure both are talking about the same thing :)
What twinklytoes is talking about is the number beneath the bar or the denominator, while you are talking about the reciprocal as a whole. It is quite ambiguous I guess in that some talk about "f/" and some talk about only "f".
It is confusing because you never know what people are referring to, f/x or just f. It's much easier to just say "larger aperture" or "smaller aperture".

I second what Polyphony said, I would like to see the tip of the bits in focus. Not sure if focusing on the first or second tier would look better.

Most reactions

Back