DSLR or Point and Shoot for quick family pics

Submariner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to shoot some indoor family portraits without much set-up time (family is impatient). The maximum size I plan to print them would be 5x7 or slightly larger. I've been using my Cannon SD 960 IS (12.1 mega pixel) point and shoot with just OK results. I also own a Nikon D610 that I pretty much use for landscape shots but I've never used for family shots.

I don't have an external flash for the Nikon other than the built in flash. Is there any benefit to using the Nikon vs the point and shoot? Would I end up with better pics using the Nikon on auto mode vs the point and shoot? I'm open to buying an external hot-shoe flash if it doesn't break the bank if it would yield much better results than the PAS. What are your thoughts?

considering your D610 still has one of the best sensors on the market...

Well with the d610 you can up the shutter speed and still get respectable images in lower inside light, so it should help you get good picture easier

The D610 in Auto mode is a better P&S than any P&S especially in low light.

I want to shoot some indoor family portraits without much set-up time (family is impatient). The maximum size I plan to print them would be 5x7 or slightly larger. I've been using my Cannon SD 960 IS (12.1 mega pixel) point and shoot with just OK results. I also own a Nikon D610 that I pretty much use for landscape shots but I've never used for family shots.

I don't have an external flash for the Nikon other than the built in flash. Is there any benefit to using the Nikon vs the point and shoot? Would I end up with better pics using the Nikon on auto mode vs the point and shoot? I'm open to buying an external hot-shoe flash if it doesn't break the bank if it would yield much better results than the PAS. What are your thoughts?
Your D610 BI flash can be set to "fill flash", which is better use of on-camera flash than your P&S. If you get a speedlight, you can "bounce" the light off some nearby surface, or get it off camera and fire it only one of several ways. If your family will not sit still waiting for you to set up the flash off camera, just bounce it, which will probably give you better results than the built-in flash.

And then, there is the advantage of a better sensor, better lens, and better processing with the D610, all of which blow the P&S out of the water.

Most reactions

Back