duck pond injury

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
Went to the duck pond this morning to get some shots of the goslings. I spent more time laughing at them than shooting them, but anyway...

I initially thought this little guy was dead, until he picked his head up & startled the crap out of me. There I am, composing the shot in the viewfinder & whoop! head comes up. I damn near dropped the camera.

I doubt he'll make it, but it didn't seem to slow him down much, as you can see in the second shot.

wound01.jpg

wound02.jpg

aww..it makes me sad :(

You wouldn't know what happened to him, Jim, would you? Like whether he was attacked by a dog or some such thing?
Do you get to that pond regularly? Maybe you can follow his healing process - hoping there is one!

No idea what caused the initial injury, but his fellow goslings aren't helping him any. Like most birds, they attack any injured party. I suspect it's programmed into them. Less competition means more food, etc.

Makes one want to help him, hm?
Maybe his brothers and sisters were the ones to do this to him in the first place? Maybe he was the last to hatch and has always been "the runt of the litter", as it were, and the injuries were brought about by his brothers' and sisters' pecks?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back