Duo-Tone

seanberry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I just learned how to make a duo-tone image today so I thought I'd show off my little experiment.

I just love the way this one turned out, I think the duo-tone (or B&W or Sepia for that matter) just give it a timeless quality. What do you think of the noise that has become a grain down in the bottom of the sky, I think its kind of nice, you?

power.jpg

hmm. to be honst for me that noise is a bit too much. at least on a calibrated screen. on my laptop it looks ok though.

overall i like the image though and the colours.

wonder how that noise / texture at the bottom was generated? on my screen it occupies more than the lower third of the image

You can't see it very well in the colour image, but I think it's the slight noise in the image being changed into variances of gray and thus showing up more? Does it show up in the clouds for you, or just the sky?

it shows up in the thinner parts of th clouds .. those almost transparent.... I cannot see any noise in the brighter and thicker parts of the clouds .

to me at the very bottom those noice appears almost as vertical stripes / bands

Here, I'll let you compare it to the colour version, noise still as bad for you?

power2.jpg

EDIT: Wow, the noise shows up on this one online too! It doesn't show up in the TIFF I exported from the original RAW file while editing it in photoshop. Could it be the downsize? The JPEG compression (I picked JPEG High (Quality 60) in the Save for Web function of PS7)?

EDIT 2: Okay, the image has some noise to start with, but the Save for Web definitely compounds the problem (I compared the Original and Optimized views in the Save for Web window)

hmm, ok, i can see it is noisy or grainy down there.. cannot see any stripe patterns though

did edit it anyway ... will remove it if you don't like it ;)

here it comes, noise reduced with neatimage (overdid the sharpening though ...)

power2.jpg

just a first try, could be done better i a m sure

Ooohhhh :mrgreen:. That looks better. Seems I have another something to add to my Christmas List :(. How much does this little diddy cost?

between 30 and 75 USD ( see private message ;) )

Well, as to the conversion (assuming it did not have the "noise stripes"): it DOES have a timeless feel! You reached where you wanted to go upon learning how to convert colour photos into black and white and then adding a tint ... and the grain would not normally be too bad if it weren't thus STRIPED and therefore very pronounced. An evenly distributed grain would even have helped to bring out the "timeless" feel, I think. But the stripes ... well, a matter of compression, I hear. A pity...

I always only use the free demo version of NeatImage and it serves me well, too. www.neatimage.com

Most reactions

Back