Durable Point and Shoot for deployment

BrickHouse

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've gotten word that I am deploying this summer and will have the opportunity to visit some pretty awesome places. I don't necessarily want to take my DSLR and new glass with me as it won't fit well into my battle rattle and will likely not hold up to the environment. I'm looking for a durable P&S with something like a 20-30x optical zoom, good IQ, as much manual control as possible (or at least the ability to shoot in aperature mode), all under $300. Any ideas??

Thoughts on a used Canon SX10IS....you should be able to find a few of those for the price range your trying to stay under.
I have one, and I must admit, it does a pretty decent job.

Here is a PNS mode shot I took not long ago for my website(I sell timber):

It seems to be okay with multiple 'things' happening. BTW, this was wet(green) Southern Red Oak with mineral stains. And it was sort of dark outside....

Scott (easy to use) B

Having 'progressed' from a Canon G3 to a G5, and now on my 3rd DSLR (A 5D Mark iii), I wanted a 'bang around' camera to go with 'the big stuff'. So I bought a G15 on sale at $299 several months ago. It was on sale again about a month ago, so it will likely go on sale in the near future. It's built like a tank and fits easily in a front pants pocket. I got about 450 shots before I had to recharge the battery while on vacation a month ago. Be sure to pack enough memory cards and perhaps a spare battery when you ship out.

canon powershot g15 | B&H Photo Video

here's a review of it as well...

Canon PowerShot G15 Quick Review: Digital Photography Review

edit: almost forgot...low light shooting does surprisingly well for no flash...even on Auto!

Most reactions

Back