Dust in the Viewfinder

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Following the excitement of last time where I found dust on the sensor, cleaned it and all was well, I now have duest on what appears to be the viewfinder.

- Always there, no matter the lens.
- Doesn't go in/out of focus.
- Does not appear on any photos.

I've cleaned the glass area I look into, no success. The dust appears to be in the viewfinder enclosure itself.

Although it doesn't bother me (as it doesn't affect the photos), I do find it somewhat distracting.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Many thanks :)

It might be on the lens, in which case you could just brush it off (lightly & carefully, of course).

If it's actually inside the viewfinder...I'm not sure of the best way to get it out. You might try some clean, compressed air...but be careful of damaging the shutter, the mirror or of getting dust all over the place and back onto your sensor.

My D80's finder has dust all over it and it's never really bothered me. One of these days I'm going to send it back to Nikon service for a general cleaning and it'll get taken care of then. It's going to see some beach duty this summer so I figure I'll wait till after the beach to send it in since I bet it'll get nice and dirty there with all the sand blowing around.

I'm going to send it back to Nikon service for a general cleaning

When Nikon performs this cleaning, does the camera come back to you looking generally brand new? Like maybe a refurbished camera might look? Assuming it doesn't have "non-cleanable" spots like scratches or whatever.

They'll generally physically clean the camera's exterior, physically clean the sensor, re-map the sensor's hot pixels so that they don't show up in your photos, along with suck all the dust out of it, update the firmware to the latest, and in general come back in as good as new condition for $100-200.

You might try some clean, compressed air...but be careful of damaging the shutter, the mirror or of getting dust all over the place and back onto your sensor.

No. Compressed air can damage camera interals as it's just not compressed air.

Buy a blower. They're cheap. Take your lens off and give the mirror a few puffs while the camera is pointing down, it could just be on the mirror. Then put it on cleaning mode, remove the lens, then blow the sensor area a couple of times. That very well may take care of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back