i honestly dont see how 4/3 fits in the market. At the price, you are looking at entry level DSLR, and portability is not as great as a high end point and shoot. I don't understand it at all. I liken it too an iPAD.
I can fit my GF1, 14-45, 20mm f/1.7, extra battery, 2 SD cards, and a table top tripod in a bag the size of my D700 and 24-120VR. Which means i can just toss it in my messenger bag, have it with me all the time, have IQ that blows away a compact, is pretty darn close to aps-c, and shoots HD video. If it's the gf1 and 20mm, i can fit it in my coat pocket
easy.
Hikers are a great example where size and weight are at a premium. A GF1 and 20mm is just as sharp as a D700 with 50mm f/1.4. It's almost as fast, just as sharp, and can fit in a pocket and weighs only a fraction.
it's like a point and shoot with a sensor that's SLR size, a really great concept that if you can't wrap your head around, you obviously don't need.
Hardly a piece of garbage.
IMHO, it will proved to be a decent option. It's not for those that are really attracted to the existing m4/3 models, though. It seems to be targeted primarily for those that want a dominantly auto-everything P&S class camera but desire higher image quality. Manual overide is there, but somewhat less convenient than in other m4/3 offerings.
IQ should easily be a match for the E-P2 and thus substantially better than the Pany LX-3 and Canon G-11 which will probably be its real competitors. The E-PL1 may also be a decent P&S "accessory camera" for someone whose primary camera(s) are one of the behemoth DSLRs. Something to take to parties and for family "happy snaps" that won't deliver unsatisfying IQ.
It won't lilkely prove to be a popular choice for serious users who want an m4/3rd system camera for their primary system. Its control interface seems to be a bit limiting for heavy serious use.
Personally, I'm close to replacing my current camera with an m4/3 model. I'm not particularily interested in the E-PL1 as its feature set isn't a good match for my needs. I'm looking forward for Panasonics announcements toward the end of this month which should include a replacement for the G-1.
The E-PL1, though, may prove to be a great thing for serious m4/3 users. If it gets good market acceptance it will increase m4/3's position in the market which will benefit all m4/3 users. A "rising tide lifts all boats" sort of thing.
I can see how it's good for the market, and I understand what your saying, it just seems like poor design to not even have ONE dial, and instead to dumb it all down to graphics and diagrams. I wish they at least kept a metal body to it.
I don't think it will be a complete flop... At that price range, they are now competing against the high-end P&S market which includes Sigma DP-series, Canon G-series, Panasonic LX3. Remember this market all but disappeared a few years ago as consumers split into two groups: Consumer P&S and the DSLR shooters. Only the G-series continued on. As time went on, some consumer P&S got a bit more demanding and some DSLR shooters started to look at more compact secondary systems. I think there is something in the market to tap.
What the E-PL1 brings to the table over the other high-end P&S is the larger sensor and interchangeable lenses all in a still compact design of a P&S. The only other offering with similar features is the Ricoh GXR... still new as well. Let's not forget that Ricoh doesn't exactly have a strong presence (at least here in the US). This also addresses one of the major complaints I have heard about the current m4/3rd offerings... too expensive. At the original price points, one has to consider simply buying an entry level DSLR.
For me, I would be interested in borrowing one. I wasn't too happy with the E-P1... but I'm always open to fresh innovative new products regardless of the branding or previous experience.
Completely makes sense, and yeah, i'd like to see one, but i can't see myself owning it, it just seems like it would be so frustrating to use.
So Sw1tch, does that mean you are not happy with your GF1?
Am I unhappy with my GF1? No, i'm not unhappy about it, it's just got a couple things that I don't like about it, and its kind of annoying:
The color is weird alot of times with skin tones, i'm always futzing with the color settings, and a lousy LCD screen doesn't help, way too contrasty and reds are too saturated. Also, It's a really
really slippery camera. Every time i take it out i feel like i'm going to drop it, and I almost have where it would have been
bad..twice.
I'm looking into maybe getting an EP-2 to replace it. I tried one out yesterday, the viewfinder is really nice and tilts, i can take it off for size, the LCD is far and wide more accurate, and most of all, it won't slip out of my hands. I'm going to buy one when the weather starts to turn around and see how I like it. If I consistently get better images out of it, with minimal futz, I can sell the GF1 and 14-45 for a good price, and not pay a whole lot extra for the E-P2. If I don't like it, I'll just return it. most places have about a 10 day thing anyway as long as it stays like new.