Eastern State Penitentiary 1

mishele

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Kinda new to editing this kinda stuff! Please feel free to give some helpful tips. Which edit do you prefer?
7999667627_9efddbe7b1_b.jpg

See it on black...
1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
7999667761_a6c139991c_b.jpg

See it on black...
2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can anyone tell if this is tilted?? I can't freakin tell!! lol I've looked at these damn shots too long!!
Thanks!!

I like the second because the alternating light/dark bands are more pronounced. I might make the walls in the foreground a little darker, and the skylights (and maybe the window at the end) a little lighter, which would accentuate it even more.

As for the tilt, if you can't tell, it doesn't matter, does it? I don't see a tilt.

Beautiful shot!
Normally I would jump on the higher contrast shot in a heartbeat but in this case the darker version captures my eye and draws it to the center and almost traps it there (which within the context of the image isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) ), the lighter version I look at easier and longer soak in the details.
They both work in very different ways.

I actually do see a very slight tilt to the left and I thought I noticed it before seeing your question about it. ;) I prefer the first edit with the lighter foreground.

I have two questions for you now. :lol: Are you allowed to wander thru Eastern State Pen on your own now, or is it still a guided tour and I suppose more importantly for me -do they still make people wear those dang hard hats? I haven't been there since 1993.

Great shot. The lighting is tough to expose for, but I'd go for the first one. I can tolerate and expect some areas to be a bit bright in order to see more interior detail.

I like the second because the alternating light/dark bands are more pronounced. I might make the walls in the foreground a little darker, and the skylights (and maybe the window at the end) a little lighter, which would accentuate it even more.
That is why I was leaning towards the second. I want to go back and lighten some of the spots, like you said. Thanks for the help!!
BTW....you live in Philly...have you been here?

Beautiful shot!
Normally I would jump on the higher contrast shot in a heartbeat but in this case the darker version captures my eye and draws it to the center and almost traps it there (which within the context of the image isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) ), the lighter version I look at easier and longer soak in the details.
They both work in very different ways.
Thanks babe!! That's why I posted 2 shots. I was torn!! They both have good parts to them. I have a color version that I might post in here too. :D

I actually do see a very slight tilt to the left and I thought I noticed it before seeing your question about it. ;) I prefer the first edit with the lighter foreground.

I have two questions for you now. :lol: Are you allowed to wander thru Eastern State Pen on your own now, or is it still a guided tour and I suppose more importantly for me -do they still make people wear those dang hard hats? I haven't been there since 1993.
Aaahhhhhh!! Now that I've been away from the shot a little while, I do see the tilt!! I'll fix it!! Thanks!!
You don't have to do a tour. We went where ever we wanted w/ no problem. You do have to pay extra to take a tripod, but it wasn't a big deal. No hard hats...lol It was a great time. The only problem is I wouldn't go on a weekend!! It got very busy!! People everywhere!! You can book a private tour for $125 an hour. It might not be a bad idea if you got a group together to go in on it!
Great shot. The lighting is tough to expose for, but I'd go for the first one. I can tolerate and expect some areas to be a bit bright in order to see more interior detail.
Thanks FanBoy!! I always like hearing from people that were at the same place!! The lighting is very difficult, but that is part of the fun.

Thanks looking everyone!!

That is why I was leaning towards the second. I want to go back and lighten some of the spots, like you said. Thanks for the help!!
BTW....you live in Philly...have you been here?

I visited twice, the last time early in 2011. Both times I came out of there with quite a few nice shots, but very little that I actually wanted to post, print or otherwise share. Something about the look of the place just doesn't seem to click with me, but I'll go back at some point anyway, or maybe I should just revisit the images.

^^^^ There were only a couple of shots that really excited me. One is a cell w/ 2 beds in it. You might remember it. I'll be posting that one later.
It's kinda a shame, the place has been so photographed that it takes some of the fun out of it.

bringing back old thread, I am going here next month cant wait! would love to see more!

2nd one. Awesome shot! What an amazing building.

I like them both..... what is that something which looks like a mousetrap in that corridor? :scratch:
It's a bench that was in the hallways. I had to remove a lot stuff and for some reason decided to not remove that bench...lol
Thanks for the comments! It was a fun place to shoot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back