Ebay brand quality ?

sinnedone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright guys Im new here and have just stepped into the digital SLR world with a used Canon EOS Rebel.

I've been searching the site for over an hour but havent really found an answer.

I figured since Im going to be experimenting with this camera I might as well buy a couple of lenses and filters. (or maybe not :) ) Needless to say I was looking through all the ebay stuff and was wondering if any of these brands is even worth it, even for a beginer.

Bower
Mercury
Crystal Optics

I was thinking about getting an add on wideangle lens along with a x2 tele and uv,polarized, flourecent filters, and maybe some closeup lenses. But of course while they werent all that expensive quality comes into play.

That being said would any of these products and/or brands be worth it or would i be doing the equivelant of buying a quality cd player and running cheap paper speakers?

Alright guys Im new here and have just stepped into the digital SLR world with a used Canon EOS Rebel.

I've been searching the site for over an hour but havent really found an answer.

I figured since Im going to be experimenting with this camera I might as well buy a couple of lenses and filters. (or maybe not :) ) Needless to say I was looking through all the ebay stuff and was wondering if any of these brands is even worth it, even for a beginer.

Bower
Mercury
Crystal Optics

I was thinking about getting an add on wideangle lens along with a x2 tele and uv,polarized, flourecent filters, and maybe some closeup lenses. But of course while they werent all that expensive quality comes into play.

That being said would any of these products and/or brands be worth it or would i be doing the equivelant of buying a quality cd player and running cheap paper speakers?

Do what I do.......buy the best and only cry once. :mrgreen:

LOL

I already do that with my cars. I dont really need another over expensive hobby.

your into cars then? me too.
same goes for photography as cars. you get what you pay for.
buy cheap parts, dont expect much from them except cheap.
i choose to stay away from ebay when it comes to cars, and now photography. im new to it too.
want used? i'd check the for sale forum here, or craigslist.
its christmas time. look in the stores and see what specials they are having.

would you put a cheap no name turbo on a nicely built car? i wouldnt. same situation.

yeah but sometimes you luck out. Precision and tial turbo products on mine, Thanks ;)

I dont know how good this camera is compared to what others are using thats why Im asking. I mean This 6mp slr produces pictures 3 times better than my regular 5 mp camera.

yeah but sometimes you luck out. Precision and tial turbo products on mine, Thanks ;)

I dont know how good this camera is compared to what others are using thats why Im asking. I mean This 6mp slr produces pictures 3 times better than my regular 5 mp camera.

The camera you are looking at is fantastic! Absolutely worth the initial investment! 6mp's are completely acceptable...there is a whole pandoras box on the mega pixel debate.....but personally I prefer the 10+ megapixel for close to the same price range. People will say 10mp's are worthless unless your making huge prints etc.....but the reason why I like 10mps vs the 6 is that you can crop the image to extremes without loosing as much picture integrity.

Don't cheap out on lenses though. Once you upgrade your camera body you'll be able to use the same glass that you had with your orginal camera....so if you buy the good lenses to start, you wont have to buy them again once you upgrade. Don't limit yourself by upgrading later and not being able to use your camera to its full potential by having a slow non VR lens.

Well I kinda making up my mind by reading and your comments. I figure if I do purchase any actual lenses I'll go for the Canon. Even though the ones I would be interested seem rather expensive.Is there any good quality brand that's a little cheaper than the canon with IS?Also what about the cheap UV, Polarized filters of those cheap ebay brands? Are they worth it? Would they help with this Canon DSLR as far as pictures go

Bower
Mercury
Crystal Optics

It looks like the above are simply filters. Starting out, really you only need a UAV filter for your camera, and thats mostly to keep dust off the glass.

As for actual lenses - First (Canon) or Third (Sigma, Tamron) party lenses are going to be expensive. One is just less expensive than the other, but neither is going to make your wallet feel good. Both are good, but you can get user opinions at Pbase.com or FredMiranda.com.

I was looking at their x2 lenses too but after seing them in person I have changed my mind.

Are these cheap UV filters good or is there a perticular brand/quality that I need to look for before purchasing some filters?

I wouldn't bother with any of that junk.

Just use the camera and the lens that you have. It will be much harder to discover the potential of the gear you have, if you add crappy accesories to it.

If anything, go get a 50mm F1.8 lens.

Yes, it matters even with small stuff like filters. Adding a crappy piece of glass, or plastic in front of high quality optical glass...not gonna do much for your photography lol.

You want optical glass filters...preferably double coated. B&W/Tiffen/rodenstock/hasselbladd...
they all make decent filters...
There's also different lines from the companies...and the value lines are usually not as good...but you can decide. Price/quality is up to you.

I also read some other posts where a hoya smc or somethign was also a good brand.

Well after reading over this forum plus reviews and the posts here I have figured out for myself that photography is like everything else in life!

LOL

If you buy cheap you get cheap. Ebay like most things sold on there sells alot of craptastic parts. Its only good if you know the good name brand parts to look for.

I will jsut start experimeting with my cam and kit lens and I'll add a good quality uv filter later on. I'll mostly be taking pictures of the family and cars. I might try the lens Big Mike suggested since it seems to be a good bang for the buck as far as taking portrait type pictures

Thanks to all who posted

Most reactions

Back