Ebony and Ivory Mountains

Number 1, the clouds are drawing me in more. Then again I enjoy stormy weather. You live in a great location Charlie.

Number 1, the clouds are drawing me in more. Then again I enjoy stormy weather.

High country storm.. Clear one minute.. dark and wet and windy the next. It came up really fast! I like stormy weather too. :)

Curious what it's like in color too.

Color.. sure.. here you are!

$!_DSC0961.jpg

I could die for the first one....seemed simple at first glance, but there is a lot going on there! Every time I look back at it I see something different...it is definitely my kind of picture.....Wow!

BandW much more telling than color, in this case....and I like the first version posted.

I could die for the first one....seemed simple at first glance, but there is a lot going on there! Every time I look back at it I see something different...it is definitely my kind of picture.....Wow!

BandW much more telling than color, in this case....and I like the first version posted.

Thanks Charlie... Good name you have there!!! lol!

cgipson1 said:
High country storm.. Clear one minute.. dark and wet and windy the next. It came up really fast! I like stormy weather too. :)

My area is bipolar, yesterday it was 90+ degrees, today 73, then it will have a relapse and go back to 50 ugh.

Yea.. that occasionally happens here.. especially early spring or late fall. We will have a 70-80 degree day.. and then we will have snow... lol!

For me, the black and white works better as an atmospheric shot. It shows the storm wonderfully, but the grass and stream seem a bit too dark. I'd try a crop just above the stream.

The color image treats your foreground better, at the expense of that storm.

Man, I wish I had mountains like that in my backyard.

btw....I spilled coffee of my camera and now my pop-up flash won't work.....do you think I could spin that into an excuse to get a D800? Seeing your images is really making me want one.

For me, the black and white works better as an atmospheric shot. It shows the storm wonderfully, but the grass and stream seem a bit too dark. I'd try a crop just above the stream.

btw....I spilled coffee of my camera and now my pop-up flash won't work.....do you think I could spin that into an excuse to get a D800? Seeing your images is really making me want one.

What did you think of the 2nd B&W image.. where I lightened up the foreground significantly? http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/287699-ebony-ivory-mountains.html#post2618338

Thanks Desi! It is only the camera, after all.. I just push the button! ;) lol! I don't know.. got 3k laying around? If so, I highly recommend it! It is a wonderful piece of hardware! But I think I got some really good shots with my D7000 also... (of course, now I want to go an reshoot them with the D800.. lol!)

Something about number one is bothering me and I don't know how to say what it is. I love the comp and the scene overall, but it seems too dark, the one you lightened seems too contrasty (if that's the right word), its like really dark or really light, not much in between. I dunno. Seeing the color I can see why it converted that way. It is almost like there is two images in one. The mountains and clouds as one image and the stream and trees as another. Individually they probly work well but together its like its not fitting together. Or it's just me. lol.

Hey...did you happen to bracket that shot? Wondering if a HDR would look awesome of that shot.

Something about number one is bothering me and I don't know how to say what it is. I love the comp and the scene overall, but it seems too dark, the one you lightened seems too contrasty (if that's the right word), its like really dark or really light, not much in between. I dunno. Seeing the color I can see why it converted that way. It is almost like there is two images in one. The mountains and clouds as one image and the stream and trees as another. Individually they probly work well but together its like its not fitting together. Or it's just me. lol.

Hey...did you happen to bracket that shot? Wondering if a HDR would look awesome of that shot.

No.. that one I didn't bracket.. not with the storm coming it. It was shoot a few frames, and run for the car! lol!

No.. that one I didn't bracket.. not with the storm coming it. It was shoot a few frames, and run for the car! lol!

lol, I hear ya

What did you think of the 2nd B&W image.. where I lightened up the foreground significantly? http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/287699-ebony-ivory-mountains.html#post2618338

Thanks Desi! It is only the camera, after all.. I just push the button! ;) lol! I don't know.. got 3k laying around? If so, I highly recommend it! It is a wonderful piece of hardware! But I think I got some really good shots with my D7000 also... (of course, now I want to go an reshoot them with the D800.. lol!)

I like the second image as well. Lighter foreground is nice. Good compositional elements to emphasize the peak. The peak itself, though, seems to recede into the picture. It has a dark shadow on it and is otherwise mid-tone, lacking the snow and clouds behind it that give such great contrast to the ridge to the right.

I'm glad to know you are enjoying the D800. Any regrets on not going with the D4? I was all set on the D7000 as my next camera.....but I'm torn about going full frame and the increased ISO that comes with some of those cameras. I've been buying lenses with that goal in mind. I've just been thinking about it more since I almost ruined my D90.

Note to self: Take more black & white shots...

To the OP: Amazing photos, I really like them!

Most reactions

Back