edit style question (smoked look?)

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i see occasionally photos of people that give it an old rustic feel without quite looking sepia, i cant quite find a pic im thinkin of, otherwise id post a link.

if you guys know what i mean post a pic please and explain how its done. ive managed to get close but cant quite perfect it :confused:

Try desaturating it so there is just a hint of color left in it. You can also go into curves, into the menu for the individual colors and tweak them a little to get a little vintage film look. I assume these are the types of styles you are looking for?

I use Gimp to do most of my PP.... Gimp offers a tool under the FILTERS -> DECOR menu called "Old Photo". Not sure if this is what you mean...

It looks kind of like...

WhiteHorseSepia.jpg

There are a few setting available that can be urned on/off but this result is more or less what I like best.

I shot and edited these for a themed shootout a few weeks ago, and I'll try to walk through the process....

img2443edit.jpg

img2464edit.jpg

faceoff.jpg

img2579edit.jpg

Each one used the same base techniques but were tweaked a bit for individual effect. It's based heavily off Adjustment Layers and Blending Modes. I start with a Levels adjustment layer; pull in the highs and lows, and move the center point a bit to the left. This increases contrast on the highlights and shadows, and the center point brightens up the mids. Then its two Gradiant Map layers; one light pink to light brown to tint it, and one black to white to control the vibrancy. I played around with opacities for both, and about 30% worked well. I then googled "old paper texture," found something I liked, and pasted it on top and resized it to fit the frame. Set the blending mode to Linear Burn at about 20-40% depending on the image. I clone stamped some of the areas where like ugly artifacts in the texture were over face/teeth/eyes, etc. Lastly, a Curves adjustment layer to tweak the overall contrast and a Selective Color, usually to tone down yellows (the paper texture was really yellow) and blast reds (like the flowers in the hair).

you cant imitate exactly that feel an old camera gives, you can get very close but it still wouldnt look the same, my uncle has an old picture like your describing and he tried so hard to recreate it with photoshop (and he knows just about everything about photoshop) and he still couldnt do it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back