Editing, file size, JPeg/Raw

Youngstu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here as I don't even know the basics of using manual settings or anything like that.

I tried using my camera in Raw mode for the first time recently and after uploading the files to my PC I found it had one Raw and one Jpeg file for each photograph I took.
Each Raw file being around 14Mb and the Jpeg around 1.0 to 1.5Mb.

Is this normal when using Raw setting?

When I looked at all other photographs I've taken directly as Jpegs thay are all aound 3.0-3.5Mb.

Considering I'm really just starting off here and know nothing of editing, would you recommend that I forget using Raw just now and work with Jpeg. At least I'll have Jpeg images with better quality (3.5Mb) opposed to the ones created alongside the Raw images (1.5Mb)?

I also tried using an auto adjust in windows photo gallery (Don't laugh) just to see what the changes would be like and I found that sometimes the size of the Jpeg file could more than half.

Should the file size be dropping as much just by some small adjustments being made?

Thanks for any help

Hi,

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here as I don't even know the basics of using manual settings or anything like that.

I tried using my camera in Raw mode for the first time recently and after uploading the files to my PC I found it had one Raw and one Jpeg file for each photograph I took.

When I looked at all other photographs I've taken directly as Jpegs thay are all aound 3.0-3.5Mb.

Considering I'm really just starting off here and know nothing of editing, would you recommend that I forget using Raw just now and work with Jpeg. At least I'll have Jpeg images with better quality (3.5Mb) opposed to the ones created alongside the Raw images (1.5Mb)?

I also tried using an auto adjust in windows photo gallery (Don't laugh) just to see what the changes would be like and I found that sometimes the size of the Jpeg file could more than half.

Should the file size be dropping as much just by some small adjustments being made?

Thanks for any help

Raw + JPEG is normal if your camera is set set take RAw + JPEG. The JPEG may be smaller resolution than you saw before b/c you have it set that in camera to 'medium JPEG res' or whatever.
Are the in-camera/straight out the camera JPEGs 1.5mb or is that the size of your JPEGs once you have edited them and saved them in your photo software?

I see now what has happened regarding the Jpeg size, I have another setting which would have given me the Raw file plus a Jpeg (around 3.5Mb) rather than the Raw file plus a Jpeg (around 1.5Mb), which I was getting.
Thanks Ristretto, I'm learning already.
The Jpegs were around 1.5 Mb and dropped to 0.7 - 0.9 Mb after editing.

Most SLR's have different Menu settings for the photo capture mode. In the case of my Nikon there are two different settings. One is for file type so it's RAW, RAW +jpg and jpg at three different densities . The second setting is for the picture size if in jpeg mode - those are small, medium and large. You set both to get the output you want. I shoot either raw or jpeg fine with a large picture size.
You should have something similar in your camera.
denny
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for any help

Hi,

When you edit and save as JPG, save at a HIGH quality setting. You don't want worst quality.

Thanks for any help

Your menus can select Raw only, JPG only, or Raw and JPG both. It is your choice, get what you have use for.

You also have menus for JPG size, which are two parameters. You can select Size and Quality of JPG files.
Size is like Large, Medium, Small, which is the megapixel size of the images. See your manual for numbers of pixel dimensions.
Quality is like Fine, Normal, Basic (I am talking Nikon, Canon may name them differently). But best quality is a larger file, and worst quality is a smaller file. Worst quality is not a frequent choice. :)

Your numbers imply you may have about a 12 megapixel camera (the Raw file), but you have JPG set to very reduced size and quality. There really is NO REASON not to get Large Fine JPG files, the best JPG is arguably none too good. :)

Anytime you edit and save as JPG, save at a HIGH Quality setting. You don't want worst quality. :)

Yes. RAW files are always larger--more info in each!

What model and brand camera do you have?

No need to rush into manual and making work for yourself.
Have some fun first - Lew Lorton Photography | Shooting in P mode & Why photographers defend their methods

At first I had a Panasonic Lumix compact which I had for around 6 years and used when on my travels. Then I wanted to try and actually learn about photography but didn't want to jump in, buying expensive equipment at first.
So I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 micro 4/3 camera in a sale. I only have 14-42 lens.

Thanks for the help. I've had a look at the manual and camera menus and I think I've got my head around the different settings and file sizes now.

Cheers.

Considering I'm really just starting off here and know nothing of editing, would you recommend that I forget using Raw just now and work with Jpeg.

If you have the space on your memory cards to do it, I'd continue capturing Raw+JPEG and keep the raw files for later when you can process them with more knowledge than you have right now. They are your master files. Practise editing your JPEGS as needed and keep the raw files for a later on.

Yeah, maybe in time I can do a lot with it.Thats the plan anyway:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back