Saving Raw Edits in Canon DPP4 ?

Marc Hildebrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Group,

I watched a lengthy you-tube presentation (I know...) explaining the operation of Canon's Raw Editor, DPP4. At the end of the session, the author had made a number of changes to the original raw file, by
using the various options in DPP4. These options included cropping and various color changes.

At this point, the person used the "SAVE" button in the top center location to save the raw file as a JPEG file. The person then stated that these changes to the raw file could not be saved except as a tiff or jpeg.

At this point, I was confused....

When I use DPP4 on my raw files, I can use the "save" option under "file" to create a new recipe that saves all the changes I have made to the raw file. If I crop the image and use save (under file), I can recover the original image before cropping, and by using the "revert to original settings" I can return to the original raw file.

When I have made the changes I want, I can create a new JPEG that reflects my changes to the file, but if I always use the save under the file location, I can keep the original.

Did I state this correctly, and is you-tube video is wrong?

Marc

Group,

I watched a lengthy you-tube presentation (I know...) explaining the operation of Canon's Raw Editor, DPP4. At the end of the session, the author had made a number of changes to the original raw file, by
using the various options in DPP4. These options included cropping and various color changes.

At this point, the person used the "SAVE" button in the top center location to save the raw file as a JPEG file. The person then stated that these changes to the raw file could not be saved except as a tiff or jpeg.

At this point, I was confused....

When I use DPP4 on my raw files, I can use the "save" option under "file" to create a new recipe that saves all the changes I have made to the raw file. If I crop the image and use save (under file), I can recover the original image before cropping, and by using the "revert to original settings" I can return to the original raw file.

When I have made the changes I want, I can create a new JPEG that reflects my changes to the file, but if I always use the save under the file location, I can keep the original.

Did I state this correctly, and is you-tube video is wrong?

Marc
Sounds correct. Raw editors are non-destructive.

DPP4 is non destructive and will remember edits, it does not edit your raw file. Once you save as a TIFF your editing changes to the raw file are baked in (destructive). You only need to save as a TIFF if you want to print the image, or further edit in a software that is not compatible with DPP4 editing.

I will answer my original posting, as it was not answered.

In DPP4, there are two ways to save your changes made to the RAW file. The save button in the top center of the window will save your work only as a file other than a raw file.

If you use the drop down save command under file on the top left. The raw edits will be saved by the software program, so that the original raw file can still be re-created.

At any time during your edits, the picture can be printed, using the print command. The file does not have to be converted by you in-order to print.

I had to find the answers as the replies did not understand my original posting.

Marc

I will answer my original posting, as it was not answered.

I answered your question above - Parametric editors (nodestructive) editors DO NOT CHANGE THE RAW FILE, they create "editing instruction" that are placed in a sidecar file attached to the RAW file. A RAW file is just data, when you open the file in software capable of doing so you're seeing a thumbnail JPEG version of the data, and if edits "have" been inserted in a sidecar then the thumbnail reflects those instructions. When you "revert" to the original it only deletes the sidecar instructions, the RAW file is still unchanged. I don't know about DPP4, but in LR, only the edit instructions and the corresponding JPEG preview are stored n the LR catalog, the RAW files remain safely tucked away in their file, with no sidecar attached unless you specifically tell LR to save a sidecar with the image RAW file.

You can not print a RAW file UNLESS it first goes through some form of PP capable of deciphering the metadata files. DPP4 (like many Parametric editors) apparently has a print module that will convert the image to a format that you can then send to a connected printer. However if you want to send the file to an online photo lab you have to convert the RAW file to either a JPEG, flattened TIFF/PDF, or PNG. These are destructive because the editing instructions are baked in. If you export (convert) to this type of file and save as a different file name your original still remains in its RAW state, but if you overwrite your original with this conversion your RAW file is gone.

smoke665,

I will try one more time, before I leave. My question was with regard to the two save functions within Dpp4. Not about raw files in general.

Good bye.

smoke665,

I will try one more time, before I leave. My question was with regard to the two save functions within Dpp4. Not about raw files in general.

Good bye.

DPP4 is a free software provided by the camera manufacturer, and like all manufacturer provided software is a very basic, typically clunky, and
has very little documentation or support. However, all Parametric and Raster editors work pretty much the same in how they handle RAW files, but whatever. You seem to have a very limited understanding of PP and an even more limited definition/expectation of help.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back