Editing programs for RAW files

I disagree. I don't think I'm shooting too many photos. I don't shoot thousands of photographs each session and go "click crazy." I don't understand how someone can completely assume how a photographer works.
Of course you don't think you are, but I took the time to look at your blog and FB site and I'll stand by my statement. You have some talent, but you need to learn to cull. Your good stuff gets diluted by the mediocre stuff. This is a common misstep made by young photographers and digital medium provides the crutch. Trust yourself to find the very best images and let the client see only those.
spend too much time editing when the reality is, I know the client won't use all the images
This is very telling. It appears you have some idea you are not giving the client your very best.

Good editing advice given. You can always try LR for the 30 day trial and see if it's right for you. Of course the more you get things right in the camera the less editing you'll need to do.

I think being exposed to the methods and tools that SERIOUS, experienced shooters utilize would be very helpful to you. One of the easiest ways is to watch some of the 3-day or 4-day seminars on the web on the creativelive.com web site. There, you can see how high-level shooters handle their workflow, business details, client policies and procedures, and also usually a 1-hour segment out of a 12- or 16-hour webinar where you can watch these pros EDIT their images. You will see that there are multiple different workflow concepts, ANY or ALL of which can be made to work fast, and well. The key is to have a system.

It's surprising how many of the TOP-level wedding, fashion, and portrait shooters are using various types of actions, and pre-sets, and modified actions and pre-sets with both Photoshop or with Lightroom. A lot of these presets and actions have been designed by high-level professionals who understand how this type of post work can be integrated into processing by the skilled,experienced user. Kevin Kubota's software tools, Gary Fong's stuff, and Kai's are some of the software tools I have seen used by "big name" shooters.

These people all, to a person, stress prepping images quickly, and with a plan, and not ultra-refining each image, but just making it "good". No retouching every last single eyelash hair...but making substantive changes that make the image good, and saleable.

Again, disagree. You misunderstood what I said. i explained earlier that I spend lots of time going through my images and editing. I spent a lot of time with each image because I want them to have the best. I never do half work or rush to give them bad images. We all have different photography styles with colors and composition. It's my work and I'm proud of it. My clients have been really happy with what I have given them.

If you're spending too much time correcting them, you may not be spending enough time taking them.

There's only so much you can do in post. Editing should be tweaking the image, not salvaging it. I rarely spend more than 3 minutes editing a single image.

Going off topic for a moment:

KPhipps- I sincerely mean this when I say THANK YOU for not using the words 'passion' and 'whimsical' in your About Me section. Seriously, you're the first female photographer's website I've visited in the last 2 months that doesn't have those words. :thumbup:

LR is a great companion to Photoshop and is definitely worth the free download. One thing to take a look at in your workflow is your process of final output sharpening. A lot of your images appear soft on your website from compression (for instance in the wedding shot where the ring is supposed to be in focus and the bride out of focus- the impact is lost) and the final "pop" is missing. Sharpening for blogs and social media is different than sharpening for high res images. Just food for thought as you look into improving your workflow.

We all have different photography styles with colors and composition. It's my work and I'm proud of it. My clients have been really happy with what I have given them.
Great. Stay with what you have. Maybe someday you'll be able to step back, understand, and appreciate the sound advice you are being given. Good luck to you.

I'm not sure what's more arrogant, not taking good advice or insisting that your own advice is good when it's not taken.

Kphipps, I think the advice you are being given is in two parts.

1) Maybe learning some new techniques could achieve the same look that you are going for in post, which could save you a lot of time and;

2) There is a reason my Ford Taurus was built on an Assembly Line. The reason is that it was $20,000 new, not $500,000. There are some hand built cars that take years to make. There are also cars like mine, that take 90 minutes to go from raw materials to driveable units. It's romantic to think that we should be in the former category, but as a working photographer you should consider how much time you are investing in relation to what you are being paid. If your market won't allow you to charge the kind of price you'd need to really come out ahead while doing that much extra PP, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

Nobody here is saying you should give the client straight out of camera images. They are just saying that there are ways to achieve the exact same image with much less time, increasing your profitability. You do you and your customers a disservice by going the long way. They aren't saying you should go halfway, they are saying you should get there faster.

Take a second thought to the advice of the folks here. Some of them are really really good at what they do. They know what they are talking about. Learning to achieve better straight-out-of camera techniques, AND faster post processing methods will make your work better and more rewarding. It's something I'm working on too (but at a hobby level). Even the big pros use filters, and do small, minor edits, because they have the experience to work quickly, and to start out with a nearly complete image.

Kphipps, I think the advice you are being given is in two parts.

1) Maybe learning some new techniques could achieve the same look that you are going for in post, which could save you a lot of time and;

2) There is a reason my Ford Taurus was built on an Assembly Line. The reason is that it was $20,000 new, not $500,000. There are some hand built cars that take years to make. There are also cars like mine, that take 90 minutes to go from raw materials to driveable units. It's romantic to think that we should be in the former category, but as a working photographer you should consider how much time you are investing in relation to what you are being paid. If your market won't allow you to charge the kind of price you'd need to really come out ahead while doing that much extra PP, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

Nobody here is saying you should give the client straight out of camera images. They are just saying that there are ways to achieve the exact same image with much less time, increasing your profitability. You do you and your customers a disservice by going the long way. They aren't saying you should go halfway, they are saying you should get there faster.

Take a second thought to the advice of the folks here. Some of them are really really good at what they do. They know what they are talking about. Learning to achieve better straight-out-of camera techniques, AND faster post processing methods will make your work better and more rewarding. It's something I'm working on too (but at a hobby level). Even the big pros use filters, and do small, minor edits, because they have the experience to work quickly, and to start out with a nearly complete image.

^^ what he said.

There is no glory or honor in doing things the inefficient and arduous ways when the final product is the same - even mundane things.

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone here. I just wanted to know what programs everyone was using as a main workflow. Looking back, I probably spend about 3-5 minutes on each photo (mainly removing blemishes, smooth skin ect) and maybe adding a filter. I guess my workflow isn't too bad but it's nice to know what other photographers are doing in regards to programs and their own workflow. I am always looking to improve my technique and images. I guess I saw a lot of comments that felt more like an attack than giving advice on improving my workflow & different programs out there.

A lot of the advice given I do take it to heart and I am going to do it. It's always good to hear from fellow photographers who have a different & unique eye. I appreciate that everyone has different styles of photography and in the end, you have to do what makes you happy & also your clients. I really liked the first few posts that told me about the programs and what they do. Thanks!

Tee- I will never use the cliche word "Passion" / "Whimsical" or any other overused words out there! haha...too funny. I could probably write down a list that I am tired of hearing.

Last edited:
I really liked the first few posts that told me about the programs and what they do.
I felt like you got good advice in this area.

I am always looking to improve my technique and images.
Thank you. Join the club. We all are. It's nice to see that you have softened your tone. Let me explain where I was coming from. Because I saw some potential "red flags" in your OP, I decided to take the time and dig a little deeper. I took the time and energy to review your blog and FB page in an effort to see what specific problems you might be having.
I guess I saw a lot of comments that felt more like an attack than giving advice on improving my workflow & different programs out there.
I offered a bit of blunt criticism because in my opinion this wasn't just a workflow issue. I did this not to be mean, but in an effort to help you improve as a photographer. I also complimented some of your work as well. If I overstepped my bounds I am sorry, but I truly thought and still think it has relevance to your post. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back