editing raw files question

bbckr95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Couple questions about editing raw files. To begin with I import all of my files into aperture and I have a raw file i took at twilight of the capitol. I wanted to edit this file in Lightroom so i exported a raw version and a jpeg version into a folder, and then imported these files into Lightroom. I edited the jpeg and then copied all of the adjustments onto the raw file. I found that the raw file had a significantly larger amount of noise even after adding more noise reduction. Other than that the photos look identical. So, did i do something wrong here? I'm a bit confused as to why the edited jpeg version has so much less noise. I'm asking this question because if this is always going to be the case i'm not sure the benefit of shooting in raw. Thanks in advance for any help.

Try pulling the raw file directly from the camera to a location then to lightroom and see what it does. Maybe the Apple software gave you only a thumbnail to work with? I had that issue a few weeks ago and tried working directly with Lightroom and it worked much better. I have Aperture on my Macbook as well and like it but found it better to just import with an SD card reader than let Apple software touch my raw files so I could use whatever program I wanted to, whether it be Lightroom or Aperture.

Why shoot raw only to edit the JPEG? Edit the raw file instead.

To begin with I import all of my files into aperture and I have a raw file i took at twilight of the capitol. I wanted to edit this file in Lightroom so i exported a raw version and a jpeg version into a folder, and then imported these files into Lightroom. I edited the jpeg and then copied all of the adjustments onto the raw file.

That is an extremely odd workflow. If your planing on editing in Lightroom why don't you import directly into Lightroom from the start?

Sparky: just experimenting to see if there was a noticeable difference between the two, it's not something I do regularly
Guru: I don't really use Lightroom a lot but i guess i could change that
Johnson: Thanks for the advise. Ill see if a direct import from an sd card changes anything

The JPEG was edited in the camera from the Raw file of the photo.
The JPEG only has an 8-bit color depth and as such has little editing headroom. some JPEGs have no editing headroom left after the camera has applied it's edits.
The Raw file has a 12-bit or 14-bit color depth and a lot of editing headroom.

Photo Editing Tutorials

Most reactions

Back