Either I don't Understand Exposure Compensation of my G10 is Broken?

SAPierce2006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, completely newb photographer here. I'm still learning how Aperature, Shutter Speed, and ISO work together. Anyways, to kind of figure all this stuff out I bought a Canon G10 that I could carry around with me and see if this is something I want to get further into. I'm not an idiot when it comes to technology, but for some reason this isn't working and I'm not sure why.

The G10 has an Exposure Compensation dial. Neat little thing. Anyways, I set the camera to manual, and control the ISO, Aperature, and Shutter Speed, and while the camera has the orange light lit that indicates that I can set the exposure compensation, it chooses the exposure compensation by itself anyways, and I can't seem to control it at all unless the camera is on Av or Tv. Even then though, it doesn't seem like it's adjusting much.

I played around with it and found out that it doesn't change the RAW's, only the JPGs, but still nothing changes when I'm in Manual mode. Thoughts?

~Scott

when you're in manuel, your're controling everything. Therefore, exposure comp cannot work. When in av or tv modes, however, you only control apature and shutter speed respectivly. Therefore, exposure comp can be used in those modes, because there are settings that you can't change in that mode.

You dig?

Exposure compensation is normally used in an Automatic mode.
Changing the exposure compensation will bias the internal metering system to over or under expose ... from the automatically calculated exposure.

If you make minor adjustments ... like 1/3 stop over/under ... you might not notice a difference.
Put the camera in any automatic mode ... change the exposure comp to the max (over or under) ... then view the captured shot.

When you are in Manual mode, you would change the exposure yourself by setting the Shutter speed or Aperture off of the camera's indicated correct exposure reading.

If you make minor adjustments ... like 1/3 stop over/under ... you might not notice a difference.

Mmm, I disagree. A 1/3 stop can make all the difference in some situations. When I'm out on the street taking candids or else around mid-day, I walk around with my exposure bias a -1/3 or even -2/3 of a stop, to avoid blowing-out the highlights.

Ah, if you are experienced ... for those that are new to photography, it will be difficult to see a 1/3 stop difference as they will not know what they are looking for.

oh. I didn't realize that the way it tried to compensate for exposure was through other settings.

Yep as has been said by previous posters - in Manual you are controlling everything so there is no exposure compensation - not sure whats on the g10 but you would have some type of metering system (usually uses the gauge that exposure comp does -2 to 2 etc which will change as you alter appeture and speed etc so at 0 etc should be the right exposure unless want t darker or brighter

Ah, if you are experienced ... for those that are new to photography, it will be difficult to see a 1/3 stop difference as they will not know what they are looking for.

I've been doing this for a month and a half (well, I've had the camera for about two months, but didn't start really taking a lot of photos until two weeks thereafter). Does that make me new or experienced? :p

After shooting for 21 years, I'm gonna go with "new", musicaleCA.

oh. I didn't realize that the way it tried to compensate for exposure was through other settings.
Just think of it this way....

In Aperture priority, you are setting the aperture value based on what you want. The camera decides what shutter speed will give you the proper exposure based on the light meter within the camera. When you change the exposure compensation in this mode, the camera adjusts the shutter speed itself while keeping the specific aperture value you chose. This adjusts what the camera thinks is proper exposure based on the meter to whatever exposure compensation you dial in.

In Shutter priority, it is the same except the settings are switched. You set the specific shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture. When you change the exposure compensation, your shutter speed stays at what you set and the camera adjusts the aperture according to your exposure compensation.

So, when you are in manual mode, you are setting both the shutter and aperture. It is up to you to adjust either or both of those for exposure.

The meter bar that you see in the viewfinder that adjusts with exposure compensation is now only a meter reading when in manual mode. You will see it change as you adjust the shutter or aperture values. If you want for example -1.0 exposure compensation, when in manual just adjust either setting so that the meter now reads on the -1.0 side.

Most reactions

Back