Elinchrom EL Skyport

solrac8126

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey i was wondering if someone can rate this against pocket wizards?

here something i read on amazon...

The PocketWizards are even bulkier than the Skyports which are flat. The antenna of the PocketWizard looks fragile and doesn't hide or swivel down when being kept. In fact the plastic build and feel of the PocketWizard feels like a cheap radio control toy for kids.

And to add more to the above, it's almost twice as expensive than the Skyport.

Hey i was wondering if someone can rate this against pocket wizards?

here something i read on amazon...

The PocketWizards are even bulkier than the Skyports which are flat. The antenna of the PocketWizard looks fragile and doesn't hide or swivel down when being kept. In fact the plastic build and feel of the PocketWizard feels like a cheap radio control toy for kids.

And to add more to the above, it's almost twice as expensive than the Skyport.

Hey Solrac it looks like they were being a little harsh on the old PW's. I am currently using the Skyports, The main reason I tried them is they were so much cheeper then PW's but they are not all perfect either. So far I have been pleased enough with them that I will keep them. I have used them on location for winter shoots down to 15 degrees F for a couple of hours to multiple studio shoots. the weakest points of the Skyports are 3 things.
One the antenna, it is made to swivel down beside the units it is right at that junction that it seems like it could be a little sturdier,
Two the receiver Batt. are internal and can not be just swapped out if they go dead the receiver can operate wile charging which is a plus as long as there is a outlet around.
Three Sense I do so much location based shooting one other point looks week to me that won't bother most and that is the switches are sliding switches soldered directly to the circuit board and the case does not have any real moisture protection, nothing a zip lock baggy does not fix.
PW's are used by so many pros for a lot more reasons then I can mention For some people though the Skyports can fit the bill. For me they more then meet my needs and saved me $400.00.:sexywink:
Hope this helps

Most reactions

Back