What's new

Elk

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Messages
654
Reaction score
76
Location
Yakima, WA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I drove along the White Pass Scenic Byway in Washington. It's a beautiful road, but can be perilous at times. Many times I've had elk dart in front of me. Today, however, they stayed along the road. Every meadow I passed had a herd grazing in it. I never would have imagined I'd see so many! Unfortunately, this is the best shot I got...


Who Me? by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
nice....I saw some the other day too
 

Attachments

  • $elk at lrcrst copy.webp
    $elk at lrcrst copy.webp
    371.1 KB · Views: 127
Nice image - looks like a bachelor herd - new antlers and still in velvet. The only comment I woulkd make is that the elk look a little to "red" or maybe there is a bit too much magenta, not sure, but when I compare their colour to those in Charlie76's image, there is a definite colour difference. His look a bit closer to what I am used to.
____________
WesternGuy
 
Now that you mention it, the color of the photo does look off...
 
I agree with the colour. But I think you should of also considered the composition of this pic. My eyes are immediately drawn to the trees. There is way to much green. So just try to crop it a bit:)
 
Well I tried an edit of both the color and the crop. The color I'm still not sure I have quite right.


IMG_9338 by RxForB3, on Flickr
 
Good looking critters... Did you shoot these in jpeg or RAW? If it's jpeg open the file up with a raw converter and adjust your color balance. The cloudy conditions which can be great for color saturation also can introduce the magenta caste when the light is low.


Looks like the herd that hangs out between Randle and Packwood. Those pesky buggers love hanging out along the road all year long. Two years ago a sheriffs deputy was killed responding to a call and hit an elk through that stretch. Drive through there in the morning and evening you are almost guaranteed to see some.

When we don't see any elk during hunting season we take a short trip up the highway to look at the ones in the fields just to remind us of what they look like.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom