Empty Nest Syndrome

ThaLadyPit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My oldest daughter found this abandoned nest on the ground beside our driveway (had been blown out of the tree by the wind), so I allowed her to bring it inside so we could take some photos of it.

The story I was trying to convey here is the complexity and detail that goes into nest building, and I feel confident that I accomplished this. I'm sure this will not be exciting, or pleasing to the eye, but I did want to share to get some feedback as to my lighting/composition with what I had available here at home. Accessories include a "not so white" pillowcase, a tri-fold poster board (for science fair projects), and my kitchen table, as well as your basic household lamp with a 60 watt bulb, and natural sunlight coming in the window (while it lasted). I alternated on settings, flash, etc., and these were the best three, IMO, out of the 40+ shots I took.

ENS1.jpg

ISO-200, f/3.4, 1/60 sec, 8mm *compulsory flash, no strobe*

ENSPS2.jpg

ISO-1600, f/3.4, 1/60 sec, 8mm *No Flash*

ENSPS3.jpg

ISO-200, f/3.1, 1/60 sec, 6mm *Auto Flash*

So, comment/critique, if you so desire. Here goes nothin' lol.

Hmmm... I see them when I view the thread. I used the IMG code link in photobucket. Anybody else having issues viewing?

The white background really detracts from this photo, if you ask me. Something like this should probably be staged to look like it's in its natural environment, at least in the crotch of a tree or something. I'm also not sure about parts of the nest being out of focus. IMO, this is going to be a hard subject to get much of an artistic image out of.

I wouldn't use the flash at all, it's making the image have shadows and glaringly bright spots. I like the middle one best, but why the ISO so high?
Maybe part of the problem was trying to use the lamp, flash, and sunlight. I'd go with just one light source.

I like the idea, but I agree about the white background... it's almost distracting...

The white background really detracts from this photo, if you ask me. Something like this should probably be staged to look like it's in its natural environment, at least in the crotch of a tree or something. I'm also not sure about parts of the nest being out of focus. IMO, this is going to be a hard subject to get much of an artistic image out of.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind for next time.

You should not have let this much of light fall on them.... If you ask me i will choose #1

Regards :D

Thank you Frequency.

I wouldn't use the flash at all, it's making the image have shadows and glaringly bright spots. I like the middle one best, but why the ISO so high?
Maybe part of the problem was trying to use the lamp, flash, and sunlight. I'd go with just one light source.

Well, in one I used no flash. The lamp was for an indirect light from the left side, and I had the blinds open for frontal lighting b/c some of the images were way overexposed when I tried to use flash (that's when I opened the blinds). ISO setting I can only figure to be so high on the one shot b/c of the setting I was using. I tried a few in Macro, and some with Backlight setting, some in Program mode, and some in Auto.

I like the idea, but I agree about the white background... it's almost distracting...
Thank you... it was either the white, or a burgundy/maroon pillow case lol. I wanted it to stand out from the location I had it sitting, and I guess I accomplished this lol.

By using the lamp and the window light you'll have a hard time getting the white balance right. Just something to keep in mind for future shots.

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. I will work on these things to get it right the next time 'round.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back