Entry Level DSLR Advice for Beginner

Much thanks for the suggestions guys, definitely some things I didn't consider. Has anyone had much luck getting shops to match internet prices? I'm thinking of giving that a shot if possible.

So far I have my own laptop to work with, photoshop is on there already, a great printer and a great tripod. Someone suggested getting a UV filter or something for the lenses mainly for protection and I suppose I'll need something to carry the camera around in. Thanks ZaphodB, I hadn't really thought through all the extras I'll be needing so it's good you mentioned it.

So basically I should have a look at the 50mm F1.8 lenses in Sigma, Nikkor, Tokina and Tamron and get one that will do the job properly and is best for my budget (which is stretching each time I write a new post!). As I'm so foreign to this lens thing could some one please tell me which is considered "best" as such? Or the hierarchy of lens manufacturers? I'd just like to have a general idea.

Much thanks again!
od.

Hey man.

The D50 should rock for you. I went with it's bigger brother (D80) and love it! I'm also going with the set everybody is recommending you to take (the kit lens and the 50mm 1,8 - will get that for Xmas)

Grab it and happy shooting :)

Oh yeah, good call on passing on the D40... It just feels 'too simple' spec-wise.

If you're on a budget, definitely don't overlook Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. They make some very good quality lenses, and are very affordable. My Sigma 24-70mm is the lens I use more often than any other.

Mad_Gnome said:
My Sigma 24-70mm is the lens I use more often than any other.

Well if that 50mm f/1.4 isn't getting much use, how about donating it to a good cause? :wink: :biggrin:

i think canon just came out with a new dslr to replace the rebel? maybe? either way, canon and nikon, the only two i'd go with, have new entry level ones out. i'd go with nikon, personally :)

Ok I did the big ring around today. All the camera shops this side of Australia no longer stock the D50s. They've all been replaced by the D40s and the D50s are no longer in production and can not be ordered in apparently. I went through the whole phone book and it was the same story everywhere, even the small shops! At this point I panicked as I already had myself set on the D50. So I had to try and find somewhere that had one still on the shelves. I ended up finding 2 places, and both only had the kits with the 18-200mm tamron. One had 3 left, all silver, which I wasn't too keen on. Lovely man, he checked the computer, again told me they could not purchase anymore and also added that he thought they'd put in one of the last orders for these cameras in Australia. Bah! I almost put a deposit on one, but decided to keep looking.

After much searching I found another shop. Went in, behind the glass there was a spot for the D50 but no camera there! It was quite crowded with Christmas and all, it took me a while to spot the sales guy who was showing a couple the camera and it was black! So I was standing there, practically hopping about on one leg watching these people umm and ahh over it... it was killing me! He put it down momentarily to show them the D70 and in that time I'd gotten the attention of someone else and bought it before they could notice! Last one in the shop... probably one of the last this side of Australia! I felt a bit bad for them but I think they ended up with the D70 anyway. So I could. not. be. happier!

My parents have agreed to buy me a 50mm F1.8, I know the 18-200mm is not the best lens out there, especially at the extremes... but I'm sure it will do me well to learn with. I can always replace it with others later. I get to pick up my camera in a week or so, I put a deposit down but to claim duty free I need to wait till within 30 days of travelling but yeh, still mighty happy!

Thanks again guys, you've all been great and the advice has helped me out bucket loads! It's very much appreciated and I think I'll be hanging around heaps if you'll have me to learn how to use my new toy!
Thanks again!

Actually while I'm at it, can anyone recommend a good 50mm F1.8 lens? Today when running around the camera shops I got some quotes for the Nikkor, which apparently sells at approx $280 AU ($220 US) but one sales person had said that it wasn't a good lens? The price is pretty flexible, originally my parents were going to buy another p&s camera, but I said I would pay for a DSLR instead... so now the budget for the lens is approximately what a new digital p&s would cost. Thanks

If you're after a fast 50mm lens I don't think you can go wrong with Nikon. I'm not sure why the salesperson said it's not a good lens. Folks worked out how to make a good fast 50mm a long time ago, I'm unaware of any of the major camera companies making a bad one in f/1.7 or f/1.8. Maybe he was trying to persuade you to go for an f/1.4 instead, but honestly I don't think the extra cost is worth it unless you do quite a few handheld shots in very low light without flash.

hey, i´m a begginer and i´ve just bought the sony alpha dslr-a100 can anyone recommend a configuration, obviusly in manual mode to take photos indoors ina astudio with artificial light, to get a more soft and warm photo like those famous magazines that i know need photoshop work, but all the presets from my camera, give me newspaper´s photography

paratower said:
hey, i´m a begginer and i´ve just bought the sony alpha dslr-a100 can anyone recommend a configuration, obviusly in manual mode to take photos indoors ina astudio with artificial light, to get a more soft and warm photo like those famous magazines that i know need photoshop work, but all the presets from my camera, give me newspaper´s photography

There is no need to post the same question in different forums...your other post should be good enough. :D

Like I said in the other thread...it's not the camera settings...it's the lighting. You are in a studio...so what light sources are you using?...with what modifiers?

What about the Pentax K100D? As mentioned in another thread I have 3 K mount lenses from a film SLR that are compatible. Is the Pentax such a downgrade from Nikon D40 that I should toss the lenses?

I have the 350 and I recently got a battery grip and a flash. The two of them pretty much triple the weight of it and it is alot more comfortable to hold. So that is another purchase you might want to make - a battery grip if you a worried about the small feel

Also for stores I personally like B&H more then adorama. B&H normal shipping gets to me in no more then 3 days while adorama has taken at least 7 days.

CMan said:
I have the 400D, the succesor to the 350D; I think it's a great camera. But I'm going to give you some advice.

Go to the store, hold both the Canon and the Nikon, familiarize yourself with them, and whichever one feels the best to you is the one you should get. They are both great cameras that take wonderful pictures, with lots of good lens options. What is most important is what feels good to you.

I want to argue with you on this one........
..... But I can't think of a single thing to argue about... maybe next time.
P.S. I have the 400d and it'sa belter (That's english for "really Good").

Also shops usually won't match internet prices..They have rent to pay, people to employ to spend time with you giving you advice etc. I am afraid it all costs money. although they will try to get as close as poss.

18-200MM not a good lens? Hell Ill take it off your hands then.

Contrary to the first comment, don't get a D40, it's too scaled down and aimed at capturing some of the higher end coolpix users.

The Nikon D50 is a really solid, great quality, affordable DSLR. I love mine to death. While I'm a Nikon fan I also acknowledge that you pretty much can't go wrong with a Canon either (Rebel XT or the new XTi).

Most reactions

Back