Entry-Level DSLR with Macro in Mind

Here's my advice to you.

You're focusing too much on the body that you'll be shooting with. That's minimally important. VERY MINIMALLY.

If you want to do macro shots, and do them well, buy a USED BODY, and a GOOD LENS. You could get away with a used 20D or 30D, and a solid new (or even a good condition, but used) macro lens. If you're going to be buying supplementary lighting, that will also play a huge roll, and make the body you choose even less important.

If you compromise some on the body you choose, you'll be able to put much better glass in front of it. I'd much rather have a 20D with a 100mm f/2.8L macro, than a T1i with a kit lens and extension tubes.

Thanks for the info! Sounds pretty doable, getting a cheaper camera body and one of the more pricey lenses. From what I've seen, the quality on the Canon EOS 1000D XS Rebel is actually really nice, even with non-macro pictures!

I think that's what I'm going to be trying to do, now. Get a used 1000D body and a nice lens.

Here's my advice to you.

You're focusing too much on the body that you'll be shooting with. That's minimally important. VERY MINIMALLY.

If you want to do macro shots, and do them well, buy a USED BODY, and a GOOD LENS. You could get away with a used 20D or 30D, and a solid new (or even a good condition, but used) macro lens. If you're going to be buying supplementary lighting, that will also play a huge roll, and make the body you choose even less important.

If you compromise some on the body you choose, you'll be able to put much better glass in front of it. I'd much rather have a 20D with a 100mm f/2.8L macro, than a T1i with a kit lens and extension tubes.

Thanks for the info! Sounds pretty doable, getting a cheaper camera body and one of the more pricey lenses. From what I've seen, the quality on the Canon EOS 1000D XS Rebel is actually really nice, even with non-macro pictures!

I think that's what I'm going to be trying to do, now. Get a used 1000D body and a nice lens.

Good idea, and good luck in your venture. We'll be here if you need any help along the way! :)

Here's my advice to you.

Good idea, and good luck in your venture. We'll be here if you need any help along the way! :)

Thank you! So, with the information you gave me, here's my sort of "shopping list" that I threw together just now.

Used Canon EOS 1000D Body - ~$275
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Lens - ~$163
Raynox dcr-250 Macro Lens - ~$72
Used Vivitar 285HV Flash - ~$78

Could end up purchasing all of that for around $590, which is pretty awesome I'd say! What do you think, would I be well off? :D

I guess you'd be well off. I'm not much of a macro shooter, but I know I would gun for the 100mm f/2.8 macro. If that is REALLY out of your price range, I'd be interested to know how the 85mm f/1.8 does with extension tubes. From what I've seen, it does pretty well. It will also be more versatile in a portrait scenario.

Heh, I'd go for the 100m f/2.8 or the 85mm f/1.8, but both are over $350! I likely won't be getting them soon, though I'm almost positive I'll eventually get my hands on the coveted 100mm lens. From what someone linked, however, the 55-250mm lens does pretty well when coupled with the Raynox dcr-250.

Go for the 55-200mm coupled with the Raynox. I'd be interested to see your shots! You might be able to splurge on a better lens if you save some scrillions on your body though. Keep that in mind! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back