Entry-Level DSLR with Macro in Mind

Zydeco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So! I've been doing some moderate research over the past week or so, looking for my first DSLR. I've already picked out my absolute dream camera that I hope to have one day when I'm more familiar with, and am able to afford, top-end DSLR cameras, that dream camera being the Canon 5D Mark II.

Anyway! Right, so.. As it stands, my main interest is macro photography. Like, significant macro. I'll provide a few examples of the type of shots I'd love to be taking:

insect-macro-photography.jpg

macrophotography-bugs025.jpg

macro_photography_39.jpg

macro_photography_35.jpg

With that being said, right now the DSLR I'm heavily considering is the Canon EOS Rebel T1i / 500D. I've also seen a lot of nice examples coming from CSC's rather than DSLR's, like some of the Lumix fz-(x) models, though most of the ones I checked up on aren't quite in my price range. I'm trying to stay in the $400-600 range, not necessarily including a lens, though if I'm actually able to pull that off it would be pretty fantastic. Those 100mm f/2.8 lenses are so expensive.. But the results they produce are well worth the price, I suppose.

The set-up, to start out with anyway, would probably be: Canon EOS T1i/500d (Likely with the default 18-55mm kit), Extension Tubes (Probably cheap, like this set by Fotodiox, and perhaps a Raynox dcr-250 clip.

How close would I be to achieving the sort of examples I provided with the above setup? Excluding, of course, diffusers/softboxes/etc. I could probably whip up something on my own for that.

Any recommendations? Gripes about the 500D? First-hand experience with using it for macro photography? I'd greatly appreciate some feedback!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I shoot a Nikon D90 with a 90mm Tamron macro lens. I know at 90mm I would still need tubes to get as close to these images you posted. You will also need a good tripod and most likely a flash. So keep that in mind!

For macro work the lens, lighting setup and tripod are more important then your camera body.

If you like nikon, I would suggest saving $$ by opting for an older manual focus 105mm f2.8 ais micro lens. It's a fantastic macro lens, and built even better then the modern versions. You don't need AF for macro work, but keep in mind that only higher end nikon bodies will light meter with older MF glass (d200, d300,d7000).

You'll also want a set of macro tubes to increase your magnification.

To get those kinds of shots, at least half of your budget will need to be spent on lighting and light modifiers. I believe a couple of those may also be greater than 1:1 magnification so either the MP-E 65mm was used or a macro lens in combination with extension tubes or bellows and rails. It's an expensive hobby.

Heh, yeah, it seems that way.. I suppose I'm not looking to get quite so ridiculously close as some of the examples I provided, though I'd like to be somewhere in the ballpark. I'm just wondering if the Canon EOS 500d coupled with extension tubes, a Raynox dcr-250, and a decent lighting set up would get good results.

Not as good as those above.

I'm going with a 600D or 60D with the 65mm MP-E as there is no way to get as close on the Nikon system without a fark-ton of accessories such as tubes and/or bellows.

If you buy used, you can definitely get a setup that will get you started. You can pick up something like a used Rebel XTi or Xsi for ~$250-300, a used Canon 60mm Macro for ~$300-350 or kit lens with extension tubes for ~$250-300, and a used Vivitar 285 for ~$50. Then all you need is a home made light modifier that you could probably make for free with some cut up cardboard and a sheet of paper to soften the light. Granted, this isn't the most ideal setup, but it'll get you started in your area of interest.

I just had a quick look at the Raynox thing you posted as I'd never heard of it before, but I would skip anything like it. Any cheap piece of glass (or plastic) like that will only degrade the performance of your rig.

craigslist for lenses body lighting and modifiers.

if you are a student, BHPHOTO.com/edu offers deep discounts on those items too

Huh. So, this photo was achieved on the Canon 500D with the default 18-55mm kit reversed, along with a flash diffuser: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassantey/6316079572/

I'd actually be quite happy with that level of magnification, so would this be a decent alternative until I save up enough for one of the big boy macro lenses?

Here's my advice to you.

You're focusing too much on the body that you'll be shooting with. That's minimally important. VERY MINIMALLY.

If you want to do macro shots, and do them well, buy a USED BODY, and a GOOD LENS. You could get away with a used 20D or 30D, and a solid new (or even a good condition, but used) macro lens. If you're going to be buying supplementary lighting, that will also play a huge roll, and make the body you choose even less important.

If you compromise some on the body you choose, you'll be able to put much better glass in front of it. I'd much rather have a 20D with a 100mm f/2.8L macro, than a T1i with a kit lens and extension tubes.

Further proof that the actual camera doesn't matter, here's a shot that was taken with a point-and-shoot camera:

Cuckoo Wasp on Sedum by johnhallmen, on Flickr

This photographer attached additional lenses (Raynox DCR-250, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8) to the camera to get the shot, though I'm not sure how they did that.

Further proof that the actual camera doesn't matter, here's a shot that was taken with a point-and-shoot camera:

Cuckoo Wasp on Sedum by johnhallmen, on Flickr

This photographer attached additional lenses (Raynox DCR-250, Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8) to the camera to get the shot, though I'm not sure how they did that.

This actually wasn't taken with a point and shoot camera. The FujiFilm S5Pro is a DSLR with a very limited user group. I believe it shares the same mount as Nikon. They're regarded (or at least they were) as having some of the best dynamic range you can find on a DSLR.

Well crap, there goes the point of that post then. I didn't know FujiFilm made DSLRs... I saw "FinePix" and just assumed it was like the little P&S I had years ago.

Well crap, there goes the point of that post then. I didn't know FujiFilm made DSLRs... I saw "FinePix" and just assumed it was like the little P&S I had years ago.

Hey, it's all good. You learn something new every day, right? Fujifilm has more or less stopped making DSLRs to my knowledge. DSLRs, no matter which way you splice it, are more cut out for macro photography than a point and shoot. But I see where you were going.

You can still take great macro photos with a P&S, they just won't be on par with what a DSLR can produce.

canon 1000d, 55-250mm, raynox dcr250, pop-up flash + custom diffuser

this was was taken with a point & shoot, fz28 +raynox

more here (there are a couple pics taken with the 100mm f2.8)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back