Entry level DSLR

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I'm looking for input on a new DSLR for a noobie...

Several months back doing research on my own I sold myself on the 40D and then the 50D came out and I thought the extra money for the 50 made it the better pick over the 40.... Now after looking at lenses and accessories I dont think I can afford the 50 right now & I don't want to buy ebay or buy used... so

I am thinking maybe I need to go with the XSI...

My main concern about the XSI is the maximum ISO being 800... I know it can go up to 1600 but isn't that not really useful due to high levels of noise?

Is the XSI a good choice for the money ? With the EF series lenses I will be buying for it I will be able to use them on a future 5D correct?

Thanks

Haha, your topic is "entry level DSLRs" and you're discussing the 40D, 50D and 5D. Just get the Xsi. If you're new to the world of SLRs, the Xsi will be more than enough camera for you, even at iso 1600. Then once you understand a considerably large amount of the concepts of photography and you start to realize that your gear is holding you back, then consider stepping up to the higher class of camera body. This process will take some time though and by the time you actually have the skill to match the capabilities of a pro-level SLR body, the Canon 120D will be out and you can go buy that.

If you bought the 50D today, you'd probably only really get the most out of it after a couple of years or more of learning. And by then for the same price you paid for it, you could have got a much nicer camera.

Just trust me on this.

yeah those cameras youve listed arent really entry level. the only thing that turns me off from the XSi though is for some reason canon chose NOT to use CF cards with it, so dont invest too much in those SD cards (i think thats the kind it uses) because theyre useless once you get to normal DSLR's. ye. they still sell XTi's which might be worth the investment. excellent cameras uses CF and theyre at very attractive prices right now.

I disagree with your opinion of SD cards. They're very reliable, very cheap, very common and have good enough transfer speeds for almost any use.

I dropped a CF card from waist level once, and the card was ruined. No camera or card reader could read from it afterwards, and I lost my photos. AND, a couple of years later, I forgot about an SD card I had in my jeans pocket and it went though the wash. The card was fine and the photos were still accessible.

SD cards are very simple little storage devices, while CF has an onboard computer to handle everything. History (and my anecdote) has shown that a simpler design is always more reliable and durable.

Ok so yeah maybe not exactly entry level...
If we say the maximum ISO on the XSI is 800 b/c of the chance that 1600 will be have too much noise how much more effective will the 800 on the XSI be than what I'm used to on my A95 of 400.... Will the use of real lenses allow much more light into the IR any ways giving me more light to work with in the first place?

And whatever EF lenses I buy I would be able to use them on a future 5D or w/e that uses EF lenses correct?

EF lenses are compatible with the 5d; however, if you go 40d or 50d, you'll like some of their EF-S lens' but those are not compatible with the 5d.

ZBO... visit Dpreview and look at the specs of the camera yourself. The answers are all there and you can see the differences in higher ISO noise in their regular tests.

Could I also ask you to change your sig? If you think Ontario is so bad, move. I find it rather insulting that you needed to voice that opinion in a photo forum.

Thanks for the link Jerry...

I have changed my sigi... it was an inside joke, I myself have never even been to Canada...

Sorry for offending you that was not the purpose of the siggy...

What do ya'll think about this kit? Are those 2 lenses decent? Or would I be better off just paying for the body and picking out 2 lenses on my own?

I think that you want a lens in the 18-55mm range. The kit lens comes at an amazing $75 price when you compare the cost of the kit to the camera body alone. Unless you have picked out another lens in this focal length range (e.g.: the $440 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8), I believe that you should get the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back