Entry-level?

t_rust said:
Congratulations to your new camera. It might be the "entry-level" model, but in terms of image quality there is hardly any difference between the Rebel (=400D) series and the 30D series. I personally bought the 20D because I prefer the ergonomics.

If you think a larger size would fit your hands better, check out the battery grip. It makes a huge difference.

Also saving a bit on the camera and investing the difference in better glass is wise choice. You actually do get better results that way.

I recently wrote a few articles on camera and lens selection on my personal blog. You might want to have a look.

http://tr-photo-blog.blogspot.com

Regards,
T
Thanks for your 'congratulations' t rust. I have started to read your excellent blog and it is extremely informative and helpful, especialy as I have recently become aware that somewhere down the line, I will have to get something better than the kit-supplied lense if I want to realize the 400D's full potential. I will also take a look at the battery grip as my hands are fairly large, all I need now is for the camera to arrive from the online vendor so that I can start to delve into the practicalities of "upgraded" photography and downgraded bank-account status.

J

Jzero said:
but as I did have my picture taken from every conceivable angle by people who were equipped with some very elaborate photographic gadgetry, I can state with some certainty that I am not equipped to "go into weddings" just yet :)
Just so that I don't feel like I'm leading someone astray, I do want to say that shooting a wedding correctly has more to do with knowing how to shoot than the equipment itself. It's just that the right equipment makes that so much easier. I'll bet some of what you saw was overkill.

markc said:
I'll bet some of what you saw was overkill.

I'd agree with that statement. Some people just have the techno equivalent of ****ing contests with their equipment. A multi-thousand dollar kit is no substitute for knowing how to take a good photograph. I've seen too many people spend oodles of money on photographic equipment only to have it sit and gather dust after a few short months.

J, it sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Pick up good entry-level equipment and start taking photos. That's how we all started, as well. Or, at least, those of us who are of modest means, anyway. Take photos of everything you can imagine, play with the settings on the camera to see how they affect your images and you'll begin to pick up a style all your own. This will influence future equipment purchase, as you'll know better what you want to do, and what equipment will help you do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back