Entry/Mid Level dSLRs

I'm personally a fan on canon....especially for lens's accesories etc i think it would be better for you. As far as indoors i don't have any big issues as long as the lighting is good the pictures will be fine. if the lighting sucks doesnt matter what camera you have. why you need the large mp's? what kind of shots you looking to make?

haha...so what youre saying is the camera will be used to shoot everything...well unless you plan on blowing the images up very large shouldnt matter that much if you line your shots up right shouldnt even have to crop that much...i know someone that has the xsi and she takes absolutely amazing pics....i cant knock the other ones dont know a lot about them, but my going experience is go with either nikon or canon the others just dont seem to cut it. visit a local camera store get their opinion feel the cameras take a picture of the same object and see what you like

I can vouch for the Canon XSi, although I cannot vouch for the "kit lens" I have the XSi, but I keep a Canon 28-135mm IS lense on it with a telephoto in the bag. I have no regrets about picking it up. The only problem that I have had with my camera is in very low light it sometimes searches when on autofocus and some noise on the same images. But I feel that you will have the same problems with any camera that you have listed. As for the other cameras I cannot vouch for as I have not used any of the others. But like previously said, get into a store and check out the cameras in person and decide which fits you better, and if possible rent the camera for a day or two so you can shoot some pictures and see how you like the pictures as well.

Also look at Rebel XS. There are some good deals out there.

Of the ones listed I would get the Pentax, because of the durable body and the have a bunch of new lenses but you can also use tons of old lenses. I would take a look at the Nikon D40. If you are just starting it will take you time to out grow and when you do you can sell it and get a D90 or D300 or something. D40 also allows you to use tons of old lenses too

Avoid Sony like the plague.

Gimmicky, plasticy, un-balanced, and overpriced "features" that don't really work.

Go with the Canon. Tried and proven.

Also, I don't know WHY you would need more than 6-10MP. You can get a nice 8X10 print from a 4MP image, so 10MP is more than enough for anything.

The fact that you say something like "more MP for money" leads me to believe you know nothing about photography. I have a 7.3MP point and shoot, and you bet my old 6.3MP DSLR takes far superior photos.

Calm down. :)

I need more resolution because I don't know how large of prints that may be requested in the future (I'm not clairvoyant). It could be just a 4x6 or could be a 20x24. I would rather have the resolution and not need it, than need it and not have it.

You also didn't read the post where I said that I need at least 10MP in order to get into ProShots on Webshots.

Have you owned a Sony dSLR?

Also, no Nikon on the list because I need better than 10MP resolution, and the first one above 10MP is too expensive for me (the D90).

:p

As for Sony, never owned one, but I have used all of them with their best lenses. Utter junk, in my (professional) opinion.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't really think it matters what you buy. You don't really seem interested in finding out anything about photography other than what megapixels you are going to get out of the camera.

The reason why I say it doesn't matter is as i've said to many before:

You're not at a stage where the limiting factors of the lesser cameras will limit you, nor the benefits of the higher range cameras benefit you.

If you're really after megapixels, sure, go the Sony, it doesn't really matter. It will suit you fine (for the reason I just mentioned).

However, for technicality's sake, you can up-sample your images to 10mp in PP you know. You may lose a bit of quality when viewed at 100% but you can do it.

Lastly, why do you want to join a webscene where they have such elitist pre-requisites that you need a 10MP camera to be accepted, regardless of which camera/lens combo you choose?

^^^^^ What he said...

I just saw a thread on here where a D700 (12mp) took a shot that was made into a print nearly 50 feet high.

Then they made same image with another Nikon, a film camera, and made the exact same print, put them side-by-side up on the side of a building.

In a visual comparison, the print made from the digital file was superior to the one made from film (unless there was some kind of trickery involved).

Granted, the Nikon D700 is 12mp, but the image was blown to 50' tall. My average print size is 8" X 10" or less.

I would think that an image made from any quality 6mp - 10mp DSLR camera would be plenty for anyone here for most of what they do.

Weatherproofing or dustproofing (although nixce to have) has nothing to do with the photographic capabilities of any camera.

If you want a Sony - then GO FOR IT, but so not expect anyone here to agree with you based on the MP ratings of the sensors, as even those can be misleading.

There are many cameras that are capable of taking a very pleasing photograph, and usually, the quality f the lens used is far more important to the quality of the image than is the camera body that was used.

A good photographer can take a very nice image with a "point and shoot".

I would guess that few of us blow up our prints so much that actual MP's really make that much of a difference that it would affect the quality of the print.

Get what works for YOU, what feels good for your wallet, and in your hands. Start with some entry level or Prosumer body, get as good lenses as you can afford, then upgrade to higher MP body when you are more ready to do so.

I like my Canon XSi. What about a Nikon D80? I'm not really a Nikon guy, I've been cursed with their products so I stuck with the Canon's lately :)

Well, lesson learned, never make a comment about MP again on this forum, as the depths of hell will be opened upon you. :lol:

I believe my original question was:
I am considering purchasing these cameras:
Canon Rebel XSi
Sony A350
Pentax K20D
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1
Nikon D60 (I'll consider it now)

What do you think that I should choose, and why?

It's not because you mentioned megapixels. It's because you show no initiative or vested interest in the questions you're asking. Furthermore you manage to come across as quite arrogant in your responses.

There are 50 billion threads on this forum with people asking the exact same question every day. Did you bother searching for any of these?

What do I think you should choose and why?
I think you should purchase a few photography books, and work with the cameras you already have. When you have enough of an understanding about the kind of photography features you want, and the lens system you want to buy into, then simply just go and buy the best camera you can afford.

What I would choose? Out of the ones you mentioned, I'd go the Pentax k20D. I love my old Pentax Ist *D and they have a good range of lenses and features that appeal to what I photograph.

It's not because you mentioned megapixels. It's because you show no initiative or vested interest in the questions you're asking. Furthermore you manage to come across as quite arrogant in your responses.

How would you like me to show initiative in questions that I'm asking? I don't see how I'm coming across arrogant, I'm one of the few in the thread being respectful and civilized.

There are 50 billion threads on this forum with people asking the exact same question every day. Did you bother searching for any of these?

There's a thread where someone is considering these exact cameras only? If so, I apologize for not searching.

What do I think you should choose and why?
I think you should purchase a few photography books, and work with the cameras you already have. When you have enough of an understanding about the kind of photography features you want, and the lens system you want to buy into, then simply just go and buy the best camera you can afford.

I have been working with the cameras I already have for over 3 years. And we come back to what camera is the 'best', thus my reasoning for asking what each person prefers and why. At the end of the day it's my choice what camera I want (and honestly something being plastic isn't going to sway a $600 decision), and how many people are satisfied with a certain camera will help my decision.

What I would choose? Out of the ones you mentioned, I'd go the Pentax k20D. I love my old Pentax Ist *D and they have a good range of lenses and features that appeal to what I photograph.
You're treating me like I just entered photography, and I didn't. You flamed me more in this thread than helped me. My question, regardless of whether you think I'm ready for one or if I know enough about photography (which is baseless as you don't even know me), is about what camera any person prefers and why, period. If you don't like my responses or me for that matter (again, you don't know me), then please discontinue replying in my thread and feel free to ignore me from here on out. But, you are ruining my thread, and dissuading people from posting that could've helped me.

I may be new to this forum, but I'm not new to neither the internet, nor forums, nor photography. ;)

You know what happens when people assume...:mrgreen:

What is it that you're lacking in your current camera that you're looking to get?

What is it that you're lacking in your current camera that you're looking to get?
Ability to change lenses.
Better indoor performance. (also going to purchase an external flash, so that should help as well)
Something that has flexibility to 'grow' from hobby to profession.
Faster performance (Konica Minolta).
Less noise (Fujifilm).
Better image quality.
Better focusing system.

Most reactions

Back