EOS shutter cleaning or replacement

drew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone had a shutter serviced by Canon on an EOS?

I have an EOS 10, which has fallen victim to the oily shutter phenomenon. There's a bumper which, after a time, deteriorates and turns into a tar-like substance that gets all over the shutter blades. (70% of my honeymoon photos were only the bottom half of the frame because the shutter didn't properly open.)

I've tried cleaning the shutter with isopropyl alcohol and a paintbrush. This dissolves the muck and now the shutter opens all the way, except on the first go, ie if you leave the camera for a few minutes and fire off a few frames, it still sticks shut on the first frame, then opens all the way on subsequent frames.

What I really need to know is whether anyone has paid Canon to fix this problem, either by cleaning or replacing the shutter. If so, how much did it cost?

Canon charges A$75 just for a quote, so if it's going to be prohibitively expensive I'd rather put that money towards a new (used) body. I need a ballpark figure on what the repair would cost.

PS. I'm in Australia, so could you mention your currency, so I can convert.

Welcome to the site.

I have not had it done but I have read that it costs about $100 US. Not to mention, shipping etc. You might be able to find a local repair shop that could offer a better price.

I have an EOS 650 that is starting to look oily but I will not bother to spend that much to keep it alive. If it starts to stick, I'll get a new (used) EOS.

I've cleaned the shutters using Ronsonal (lighter fluid) on older cameras. They were gummed so bad that the shutter would not fire at all. Now they work like new. It's alot stronger than alcohol and evaporates very clean and quickly. Just don't get it anywhere but the blades.

OMG! OH I am so very sorry to hear about your pics! I don't know what I would do if I had honeymoon pics turn out like that! Even anniversary pics! I have heard of this dreaded topic though and all I can offer is definately take it to a dealer/repair center. I am deathly afraid of when my shutter might "collapse" due to "excessive use" because I have been shooting like 700 images a week and have heard bad things about rates that high for the 10D. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Had my EOS 650 go down with the oily shutter syndrome....sent it to be cleaned and it still was not perfect. Should have put the $150 Canadian bucks into a new body right off the bat :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks for all your replies. I was going to make a claim for the repair on my insurance for this but it sounds like the excess is more than what it will cost to have it serviced.

The good news is that I gave it another clean and it seems to be working pretty well again; I'm running a film through it now to check the results. If it seems okay I may use it as a trade-in for a new (used) body. I think this will be the cheapest way out of it.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back