Epson 1800 Vs. 1280

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to buy a wider format printer, I am looking at the Epson Photo Stylus 1800 and 1280. They both appear to print the same size photos and the reviews seem positive but I thought I would see if anyone here has any advice on these printers or printers similar to these, I want to be able to print up to 13x19 along with the option to print 13x44 panoramics. I believe these two can do that. I want to stay under $600. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 1800 would be the better of the two. The 1800 used the new ink system with 8 seperate colors. The 1280 used 2 cartridges, 1 black the other 3 color. I believe the 1800 also has higher resolution. I went from the 1270 to the 2400. I would suggest the 1800 over the 1280.

go with the 1800. There's no comparison as the 1280 is significantly behind in technology. Higher resolution.. wider gamut.. seperate color cartridges. The 1280's inkset isn't really archival either.

Another option.... look for a used 2200.

Thanks for the info. I just did a quick search for the 2200 and it appears to be similarly priced to the 1800, how do the two compare?

With 7-color UltraChrome inks, 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution, and ultra-fine 4-picoliter ink droplets, the large-format Epson Stylus® Photo 2200 delivers remarkable archival photos. It even offers true borderless photo printing on glossy media in six popular sizes, plus PRINT Image Matching technology for the best quality photos from PRINT Image Matching-enabled digital cameras.
The first desktop photo printer to use seven pigment inks, the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 provides the highest quality output available from any pigment-based ink jet. And, with its innovative ink system design with individual ink cartridges, it ensures the deepest, darkest blacks for prints and enlargements on both glossy and matte paper. By exchanging the Photo Black ink and optional Matte Black ink cartridges, users can optimize their black ink coverage based on the corresponding paper.
Perfect for portrait or fine art photographers who need archival images that will last up to 108 years¹, this high-speed ink jet makes it easy for anyone to create long-lasting photos and artwork on a variety of media up to 13" x 44". A power-packed performer, the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 comes with an easy-to-use roll paper holder and automatic cutter for a quick, simple way to create borderless 4" x 6" photos. It also includes Hi-Speed USB 2.0 and FireWire (IEEE 1394) connectivity, and a convenient Parallel port.

Taking Epson's award-winning technology one step further, the Epson Stylus® Photo R1800 quickly creates large, archival quality glossy and matte photos worthy of display. Experience the rich, true-to-life colors and subtle detail that's evident in every image. It's all possible with Epson UltraChrome Hi-Gloss Inks, plus an industry leading resolution and ink droplet size - the same innovative features that made the Epson Stylus Photo R1800 a resounding success.
This printer's impressive 8-color individual ink system, which incorporates red and blue inks, means you get a wider color gamut for incredibly vivid photos. Its separate matte and photo black ink cartridges are integrated into the system as well, so you get the deepest, darkest blacks on matte paper, and brilliant results on glossy paper automatically. Finally, the unique gloss optimizer makes glossy prints look like they came from a traditional photo lab. And, since the inks are pigment-based, you can be confident the color and detail will remain true for up to 200 years. The Epson Stylus Photo R1800 delivers studio quality results on a wide variety of media and in eight popular borderless sizes - up to 13-inches wide, as well as panoramics up to 44-inches long.
Best of all, the Epson Stylus Photo R1800 speeds through every project - so you can quickly print stacks of high-quality photos. And, its expertise goes well beyond the art of photographic prints. This photo printer makes it easy to add that special touch to your portfolio with professional quality printing on ink jet printable CDs and DVDs.
¹Lightfastness rating of 104 years with Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper, and 200 years with Epson Watercolor Paper Radiant White, based on accelerated testing of prints displayed indoors, framed under glass. See www.wilhelm-research.com for test details and information on other Epson papers. Actual prints stability will vary according to display conditions, light intensity, humidity, and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not guarantee longevity of prints. For maximum print life, display all prints under glass or properly store them.

Too much to print. Go to epson.com and search for the espon 2200 they still have the stats online. The 1800 you can either search for it or on the front page under inkjet printers you can link to it.

btw... epson's ads for the R1800 boasting about its 8ink cartidges is actually a bit of a stretch. It has

1) Matte black
2) Gloss black
3) yellow
4) magenta
5) cyan
6) red
7) blue
8) clear gloss

Depending on the paper, you are really only printing with 6 inks at any one time...

2200 has true 7 colors and the R2400 has true 8 colors.

Most reactions

Back