What's new

Epson Scanner Trouble

Ellington

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 9, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own an Epson Perfection V330 Photo scanner which is 14 years old soon. But it may not be a happy birthday as, until a month or so ago, it was working fine both in flatbed mode for documents and for scanning 35mm stock. It tends to work OK when first switched on but when warmed up (could that be the problem?) it's frustratingly erratic as I need to switch it off and on again and sometimes even resort to restarting the computer when the message "can't communicate with the scanner" appears. At that age it doesn't really owe me anything and I would happily consign it gently to join the community of scanners in the sky; then purchase a new one, but there just doesn't appear to be anything out there to match it. I've downloaded drivers etc from the Epson support site to no avail. Is a costly repair in the offing? Any advice will be more than gratefully received! :icon_sad:
 
I used to have similar problems with my V600 when running Windows 10. Never did figure out why it happened. I;ve upgraded to a V850 to handle large format now so I retired the V600 to the attic.
 
I own an Epson Perfection V330 Photo scanner which is 14 years old soon.
I think that says it all. Consumer electronics is not designed to last a long time.
 
Hi Alan, thanks for taking the trouble to reply. The V850 seems to be able to perform all the film and document tasks but it's too big for the desk space I have; and the price is...er...what shall I say....somewhat prohibitive. I thought at one point that Windows 11 might be the culprit with the V330 but it works fine from time to time. A guaranteed refurbished V330 could be the answer if one can be found!
 
Staples seems to have refurbished V600 good for 35mm and 120 film and photos.
Thanks for the link to Staples but as I'm in UK I think the shipping charge would be mega. Looks good though. I'm currently working with the demo edition of SilverFast software which seems to be performing OK so far, I.E. scanner working and no messages on screen. Hopefully a drivers/software glitch all along. Watch this space!
 
I own an Epson Perfection V330 Photo scanner which is 14 years old soon. But it may not be a happy birthday as, until a month or so ago, it was working fine both in flatbed mode for documents and for scanning 35mm stock. It tends to work OK when first switched on but when warmed up (could that be the problem?) it's frustratingly erratic as I need to switch it off and on again and sometimes even resort to restarting the computer when the message "can't communicate with the scanner" appears. At that age it doesn't really owe me anything and I would happily consign it gently to join the community of scanners in the sky; then purchase a new one, but there just doesn't appear to be anything out there to match it. I've downloaded drivers etc from the Epson support site to no avail. Is a costly repair in the offing? Any advice will be more than gratefully received!

Have you updated your drivers?
Have you contacted Epson support?
If you have covered this, my apology.
 
Have you updated your drivers?
Have you contacted Epson support?
If you have covered this, my apology.
Yes, they are the usual answers but I didn't experience any joy until using the demo edition of SilverFast as I reported earlier. No need to apologise; thank you for taking an interest.
 
I think that says it all. Consumer electronics is not designed to last a long time.
Yes, and I am amazed that it's performed well and for as long as it has. May still have an extended life if the scanner software has the continued desired affect (see my Monday reply).
 
  • Like
Reactions: jda

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom